So what........

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 22:03 (4341 days ago) @ Byron

"The 22 rf has accounted for more game of all sizes than any centerfire (all centerfires together, perhaps?)"

"This statement is meaningless...."

Only meaningless to those who don't understand it. Have you ever lived by what you can grow or shoot - ONLY? Hand to mouth, each shot must count? Each penny must stretch so thin it's pretty nigh transparent? You may have, but I doubt it. In those situations then the lowly 22 is pressed into use - not shooting 1000 pound cows at contact distance but rather bringing in game. That is hunting, not shooting. It's what ever it takes to fill the pot, not "sporting".

"The 22 mag performs well - yes, even out of a pistol - in defiance of its "paper ballistics"."

"Performs well compared to what?"

Again, you cherry pick what you want to see. The 30-30, '06, etc can be shown to be superior to the 5.56 mm for shooting deer - if you pick and choose your data right. And the 30 caliber centerfire (generic term covering many chamberings) has likely accounted for several times more dead men than the 22 centerfire. There's always "something better" somewhere.

"My point continues to be...given a job...what is the best tool...given options..."

My point is ... not everyone has options to pick from. They've got what they've got and that's it.

"I know you live on a mountain top Utopia..."

Actually, I live in a mountain valley near the mean streets, right down the concrete canyon from anything BUT a utopia.

"I probabaly shot more last weekend that you did in the last year (or more)...."

Good for you.

"Think I'm "overbearing and opinionated"... I think you are naive and sarcastic...."

Naive - "marked by unaffected simplicity" Thank you.
Sarcasm - "a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain " if that is the impression I give, I apologize. I do not design to give pain by anything I write.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread