.22 Mag.....I can not help myself from a rising to the bait.

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, June 07, 2012, 15:12 (4342 days ago) @ Art

Art, I don't know how often you get out and about. When I visit NW CO there's a ranch I stop at where we fish, run wild and have a great time. The OM Single Six with 22 Mag cylinder packs easily on my belt. It's great for muskrat and other vermin - and shoots nice and flat with low recoil enabling one to take longer shots than the 22 LR will. Yes, you can get as flat shooting in centerfire - but you're going to have a lot more recoil. You can use a 22 LR in a rifle and get the same effect - but that really isn't very handy to pack along. Same place - the 45 Vaquero or the Taurus 44 spl ride along on the other side of the belt in case Yogi gets frisky or a puma decides to vary its diet. A 12 gauge with slugs might do better for such a job, as would a 30-30, '06 or (fill in the blank) - but the 44 or 45 is THERE, right on my belt instead of leaned up against a tree or back in the truck. This is one of those rounds that some folks love to hate. It makes no sense on paper. But it works fine for what it is used for by those of us who use it instead of poo-pooing it. There's no perfect packing pistol - but the search goes on. I'm looking forward to strapping on the OM SS and the Vaquero and doing some trout fishing this fall. The 22 mag is MUCH more likely to see action there than the 45 Colt.

As always - YMMV...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread