A good day - range time!

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, March 03, 2018, 15:45 (2255 days ago)
edited by Paul, Saturday, March 03, 2018, 15:51

We're trying to get the local gun range going. Well, it was established just over 60 years ago, but the past near 30 years of political pressure have put a hurt on shooting sports, plus the fact that 60 years ago they didn't buy enough land for the future lead to about 8 or 10 of us keeping it going over the past 10 years. We've been through some tough times but with the new property and our bright shiny new range license we've been picking up new members, nearly to the balance point. Today we had a collective range day, mostly shotgun. As yours truly doesn't have one, he usually ends up running an air rifle side show. And that's indeed what we did today. One draw of the new property is that we can run both the shotgun AND air rifle areas all at once - safely.

Attached is a pic of some of the next generation of shooters. Two grandsons of one of the long time members and the youngest of the three is the son of our best local shotgun coach. We had a grand time slaying the Field Target silhouettes. That 10 meter crow with 3/8" reducer ring is TOUGH!

That rifle on the left was given to me by Rich Hoch. It's an old Haenel 303 Super that he cut down to teach his grankids with. He gave it to me to teach my kids with, and it's still going strong. Need to tear it down and see about ordering a new spring from Maccari and make it a new seal, but it's still tossing lead yea these many years since it came to reside with us.

[image]

As someone periodically stuck with no range,

by former hater of plastic, Saturday, March 03, 2018, 17:11 (2255 days ago) @ Paul

simply nothing local possible where I happen to be, it is good seeing someone keep that drought at bay, and planting a new crop. Living in a drought condition is no fun, and nothing better than being somewhere else where the shooting in free and easy.

As someone periodically stuck with no range,

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, March 03, 2018, 20:30 (2254 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

Must be hard living where you can't discharge a firearm freely? Guess I'm fortunate & blessed.

home again, for now, but

by former hater of plastic, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 09:45 (2254 days ago) @ Creeker

shooting in places like the Bronx is pretty much forbidden except for gang members.

There were USPSA matches in the Bronx up until recently.

by cas, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 11:30 (2254 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

In a basement range somewhere. They let there affiliation lapse a few years back for whatever reason, could be many.

Given the illegality of handguns, and registration

by former hater of plastic, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 15:44 (2254 days ago) @ cas

of long guns in the boroughs of NYC, I wonder how that is even permitted. As an out of stater, what gun dealers I visted even out of the city, but within the state, would not even allow touching of a handgun without a state permit.

Am mainly reduced to carrying a legal knife (found the Victorinox civvy version of current German and Swiss Army knife quite fast one-hand, pocketable since knife MUST be completely concealed to be legal, and also unflickable even by an NYPD flicking pro), and a blackthorn rootball long cane. The stick has been very respected by potential trouble, the old M65 jacket still with unit patches helps, as well. But, no gun except last ditch in personal digs. Certainly no target shooting for Bonzo.

USPSA in Staten Island now.

by cas, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 17:35 (2254 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

Also a place my NY license isn't valid. I'm not sure how they're drawing for matches, but apparently they are. None for me thanks.

A friend was the past USPSA metro east section coordinator, he no longer wanted the possition and tried to pawn it off on me. (I passed) One of his duties in that role is to visit all the clubs in the section and make sure they're doing things right. I asked him about the club in the Bronx and he said he'd never been. Legally he couldn't bring a gun, he didn't want to go to the match and not shoot and he didn't want to go to the Bronx period... but especially without a gun. :D

Another friend has the job now, he visits the Staten Island club. He's not really bothered with the laws or following them.

Understand............nt

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 20:09 (2253 days ago) @ former hater of plastic

Pictures don’t work again....

by Otony, Saturday, March 03, 2018, 21:06 (2254 days ago) @ Paul

Not everyone’s, but quite a few.

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 16:39 (2254 days ago) @ Otony

Take a look here.

http://sixshootercommunity.com/forum/index.php?id=54369

There's an issue with the subdomain. I need to remember the password so as to get in and then David Fagan will take a look and see what can be done to remedy it. In the meantime, using http://www.sixshootercommunity.com/forum/ instead of http://forum.sixshootercommunity.com to visit the forum seems to work, at least here between the Canal and the Equator.

by Otony, Sunday, March 04, 2018, 17:31 (2254 days ago) @ Paul

Still no bueno at this end. Can’t see the pic you posted in the beginning of this thread, even using the alternate site.

Sorry,

Otony

RSS Feed of thread