straight-pull actions?

by bj @, Saturday, October 31, 2020, 19:52 (1271 days ago)

Not many rifles have been made as straight pull actions.

It occurs to me than an AR-15 is essentially a straight pull action, that part of it just isn't very ergonomic. With a different operating handle, maybe a side pull handle, it could be an easy straight pull action. Change the upper receiver and bolt carrier and you could have an easy straight pull action.

Then it occurs to me that this would be natural for a linkage to operate like a Glock trigger- the charging handle pulls the bolt back then at the end of the travel it steps out of the way and lets the bolt travel forward with the recoil spring, ready to go. There could be a separate spring to return the charging handle. I wonder why nobody has ever done something like this.

To further this you could swap the lower receiver too, to a form that wouldn't accept a standard AR upper, take out the gas tube, and plug the hole in the front gas block. That way those of you with ARs would be able to keep them after January 2021. If it's not automatic, if it doesn't have the AR lower, if it won't accept an AR upper, then it would no longer be an AW.

New business opportunity for someone- design and manufacture these conversion kits, manufacture as many as you can in the next 3 months.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread