Off topic....still.....manly enought.....

by Alfred John, Sunday, April 29, 2012, 14:32 (4386 days ago) @ Byron

I have used a Straight and it was enjoyable. I found you have to take your time and prep your face properly. Of course a quality razor is a must, good stone for shapening, and a strop. As far as shaving soap, your choice. I found you get a great shave if you lubricate your skin before starting. The old timers would soak the whiskers,remember the hot steamy towels,but a lot of men used to use some sort of grease or lotion under the lather to aid the razor. Once the face is prepped, you should try to go against the grain of the whiskers, and then with the grain in some cases, you have to find what works. A really good shave was done by shaving twice at the event. Once over lightly,lather up and go back over. It seems to work better than trying to elimiate whiskers on one pass. A proper shave should be an enjoyable experience and not rushed. Why do you think so many men always had a good barber give them a shave, they could relax and take it easy. Anyway when done, rinse your skin, then wash it again with "witchhazel" this will clean and remove any soap or lotion left. Pat dry, a bit of shaving powder, especially in hot weather, you are done. Gosh I am wordy. Think about it, most working men only shaved every other day. A good close shave will last overnight and a fresh shave in the morning isn't always necessary. Of course some people still need daily shaves or sometimes more often. One other thing I might mention find out whether morning shaving or evening shaving feels best for you. Anyway that this for what it is worth. Enjoy your efforts. ATB

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread