Closing in on a M4'forging -- optics

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 20:19 (4389 days ago) @ John Meeker

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=268.

The NM A4 with the flattop receiver -- going bit upscale, over the recommends. Not set in stone, but my AR-nephew says it's worth extra money to a picky detail fiend like me. He's building the lower, and will have it FFL'd to me.

OPTICS -- Red dots -- not a big fan. Raised on peeps/blades and cross-hairs. Don't have the hang of red-dottery. So, a rugged 1X4 scope or so, mebbe with a MINIMAL range scale seems most likely right now. Looked at around 200.00- 300.00 stuff. Not going to the ends of the Earth in a Climate Change Epic - I hope -- so recommendations 'suitable for civilian use' are OK.

Any other recommends for sighting equipment welcome. Nephew is picking good flip-up irons. Also, will be making a buy on magazines. RobL mentioned some sturdy middle priced ones, and mebbe ten to start?

A thousand rounds of reloadable bulk ammo is about 300.00; any better buys out there? For one-time cheap, GI, Chi-com disposable: 150 for a thou?

This is all new territory to me, so it's pretty much uphill fun. Hope I'm not bogging the board with this topic, and I do appreciate the expertise present and accounted for.

Thank you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread