Paging Boge and Other Pickers. OT

by jerry b, Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 13:47 (4472 days ago) @ JLF

Many will probably disagree, but I don't love Taylors, at least newer ones. I haven't picked up one in a store in quite awhile that I thought worth the cash, and boy howdy, are they getting expensive. How much is the logo on the headstock adding on these days? There are other manufacturers that give more bang for the buck, I think, including Martin and Larrivee, keeping to North America. Pick up a copy of Acoustic Guitar magazine and peruse the ads, maybe?

If I were looking for a thousand-dollar instrument, I'd be spending my time around the used racks. My daughter found a nice 1962 Gibson recently, and being unsophisticated, I dearly love a Yamaha LL500 bought a few years ago from a guy with martinitis. Older Martins and Gibsons abound, along with other nice brands.

But, what do I know, huh? I am neither pro player nor connoisseur, although I play a lot and let the arthritis do it's worse. You asked, so I opinioned for what it's worth....not much really.

Good luck. Like Frank Zappa said, when you pick up a guitar and it says, "Take me home", that's the guitar for you, be it Taylor or whatever.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread