Paging Mr. Leahy: RFQ

by FOG, Wednesday, March 06, 2013, 21:49 (4225 days ago)
edited by FOG, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 04:24

(Grammar Edit)

Having toted them around for a few days without one, I think I 'need' a nice leather slip case for my new 'pocket' scissors.

I saw some cheesy ones on FleaBay, but nothing even close to up-to-snuff.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of a cross between a Slim Jim holster and a Tom Threepersons, only smaller, plus Sans-A-Belt™-loop.

Whip lacing on the seam (or something like it) would also be nice.

I was even thinking of flower carving, but that might be pushing the envelope right over the edge, off the desktop, and onto the floor.

Actually, the biggest worry I have concerns the 'triggers': I'd like both of them uncovered, but I can see how that might be asking too much, liability-wise. :-D

Anyhow, is this something you'd like to take on in your shop? (Just in case: I'm actually seriously inquiring.)

I have a spare pair of the scissors that I could send you for fitting, so there would be no rush as far as I am concerned.

TIA :-)

[image]

--
[image]

by Catoosa, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 09:17 (4225 days ago) @ FOG

That's why I never throw away an old belt (or any usable piece of leather, for that matter). A length of soft leather belt lining, folded over and stiched, makes a perfect slipcase for all sorts of pocket junk. Even has the stitch holes already in it. Not fancy, but very functional.

My grand dad told me about making a razor knife case

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 09:44 (4225 days ago) @ Catoosa

from an old hatband. He carried his razor this way while he was cooking and gambling in a lot of tough joints back in the 20s& 30s...Dave send those We can cobble something up for you.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Make it tactical. Black, possibly on a leg drop harness. ;)

by cas, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 11:28 (4225 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The thought of carrying a straight razor horrifies me. And I have a bunch and use them, which probably why the idea horrifies me. lol

My grandad was a lot of things, screamish was not one of em!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 16:44 (4224 days ago) @ cas

;-)

--

In truth I'd be more afraid of lopping off my own fingers.

by cas, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 16:55 (4224 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Little mistakes turn big easy with them things.

Ever have a REALLY sharp switch blade open up in your pocket

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 18:16 (4224 days ago) @ cas

bad things happened real fast, fortunately, it was my back pocket...

--

Ever have a REALLY sharp switch blade open up in your pocket

by stonewalrus, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 18:41 (4224 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

They are working on a law to make them legal to carry here in Tennessee. I don't want to carry one for that very reason. I might pick up one for my "collection." Actually they are attempting to remove the under 4 inches restriction too - forget the switch blade, I'm going for a katana:-D

I have owned a dozen; from the simple to the sublime. I like

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 18:46 (4224 days ago) @ stonewalrus

switch blades a lot. This was a customized Buck 108 razor fricken factory sharp...
Benchmade's automatic knives work very well and have a slide safety on them. the Custom Buck did not.

--

I am sans-auto at the moment

by FOG, Saturday, March 09, 2013, 02:00 (4223 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

But it's always on my mind to get one.

I'd never carry one, but I'm sure I would 'fire' it aplenty, just sitting here at my desk. :-D

The one at the top of my list these last few years has been the Benchmade Infidel, which happens to be an out-the-front (OTF) opener − and auto-closer, for that matter.

I generally prefer side-flippers, but I think I could get by with a Benchmade 3300.

--
[image]

Me too. I'm safer with a sack of sweaty dynamite than any

by John K., Thursday, March 07, 2013, 18:18 (4224 days ago) @ cas

edged instrument.

I can even attest that a brand-new Gransfors Bruks axe will make a "thonk" noise when it bounces off your tibia. Good thing I have stong bones.

John K.

Me too. I'm safer with a sack of sweaty dynamite than any

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 19:22 (4224 days ago) @ John K.

John K

That makes my leg ache just reading that!

Over 4" StoneWalrus.

Only good knife is a really sharp knife.

My ear lobes are the only thing I've ever cut..

by cas, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 21:31 (4224 days ago) @ RidinLou

with my straight razors. I've done more damage to my face with safety razors. But sometimes I'm worrying about my face and I forget where the end of the blade is and I make my earlobes bleed. :-D

by Alfred John, Thursday, March 07, 2013, 13:29 (4225 days ago) @ FOG

Great idea FOG. I have been thinking of same thing. Hope we hear more on it. I will probably get one as well. Good Luck.

I'll be sending my '2nd' scissors to Rob soon

by FOG, Friday, March 08, 2013, 08:53 (4224 days ago) @ Alfred John
edited by FOG, Friday, March 08, 2013, 21:10

(Spelling edit - DOH!)

And I'll file a report on the anticipated slip case when it bounces back my way.

I'm very much looking forward to it.

(Thanks, Rob!) :-)

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread