Posted in other places ....

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, April 06, 2024, 22:43 (23 days ago)

I had been talking about S&W Model 10's on another forum. Might as well post it here for those who haven't seen it.

A couple years ago I bought a S&W Model 10 from J&G Sales. It had no barrel. It was a gun that had been exported to another country, used in the Police Force there and then when the Police sold them off an importer here in the US bought a bunch and brought them back in without barrels.

The price was right so I bought one, looking for a project. I probably posted the rebuild here. I bought a heavy 4" barrel and installed it and got the gun running.

AS PURCHASED
[image]

[image]
I was told the guns were from Malaysia. JB stamp on bottom of frame = Jabatan Polis = Malaysian, and means "Police Department" according to Google Translate.

PARTS
[image]

FINISHED PRODUCT
[image]

So ... talking about it on the other Forum reminded me that I had not shot this pistol in quite some time. So Friday I took it to the Range and spent some time with it. I had almost forgotten how sweet the trigger is on the Model 10 S&W guns. This gun had been used for years and it is so nice and smooth! The letoff is almost orgasmic.

I was shooting the Lyman 160 gr. cast flat point over 4.0 gr. of 231. A sweet load. I spent the day shooting groups, offhand at 10 yards. Practicing my sight alignment and trigger control.
AMMO
[image]

FIRST GROUP OF THE DAY
[image]

BEST GROUP OF THE DAY
[image]

Please note that I have not posted the worst groups. I have no desire to embarrass myself.

[image]

The Model 10 S&W is THE most popular pistol with over six million produced by Smith & Wesson and copied by companies around the world. We have several others and they are all quite amazing to shoot. I wonder why I haven't shot it more?

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

by cas, Saturday, April 06, 2024, 23:27 (23 days ago) @ JimT

So you're saying they sold you an illegal smooth bore revolver! :-D

I mean, some over zealous batman might argue such.

It was legal ... a "No Bore" revolver!

by JimT, Texas, Sunday, April 07, 2024, 07:19 (22 days ago) @ cas

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

If you think about it...

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, April 07, 2024, 21:13 (22 days ago) @ cas

that's about the fastest twist rifling you'll ever find on a resolver. But the match up between the chamber mouths in the cylinder and the non-existent forcing cone is abysmal!

by Catoosa, Sunday, April 07, 2024, 22:03 (22 days ago) @ JimT

Jim, You are absolutely right about the S&W Model 10. The durn things are addictive. Last month I stopped by my favorite LGS to get some Ballistol. As I walked up to the counter to pay for it, I happened to look down at the used gun shelf. There was a very nice six inch skinny barrel M10. I certainly did not NEED another .38 revolver, but I didn't have a six inch and this one was NICE. The shop owner heard me talking with the counter kid and came out to say howdy, then grinned and said "You need that one!"

That spray can of Ballistol wound up costing me $450 plus tax and BG check. But that old 1960s vintage M10 has got the sweetest DA trigger I've ever pulled and shoots like a target pistol. Now I gotta build a nice holster for it.

Congratulations! (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Sunday, April 07, 2024, 22:15 (22 days ago) @ Catoosa

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Congratulations!

by Paul ⌂, Monday, April 08, 2024, 11:03 (21 days ago) @ Catoosa

A 6" 38 spl is a very underrated resolver. Sure miss my old Rossi that stayed down south when we moved to the land between the Canal and the Equator. It was similar to the Model 10, but had a ventilated rib and an underlug barrel. Shot better than I was capable of. Enjoy that S$W!

Congratulations!

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, April 27, 2024, 10:16 (2 days ago) @ Paul

I have a couple 6" Smith 38's. Love them.

RSS Feed of thread