Article on the new Army rifle - Sig Fury

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 10:19 (26 days ago)

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/277-sig-fury-cartridge/457153

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Being fielded as we speak.....101st Airborne

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 16:30 (26 days ago) @ JimT

The Army Has Finally Fielded Its Next Generation Squad Weapons

The Army has officially fielded its brand-new Next Generation Squad Weapon rifles to its first unit, bringing an end to the service's decades-long effort to replace its M4 and M16 family of military firearms.

Army Futures Command announced Thursday that soldiers from 1st Battalion, 506th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, accepted delivery of the XM7 Next Generation Rifle and XM250 Next Generation Automatic Rifle ahead of training in April.

--
Esse sine metu in facie inimici tui. Sit fortis et rectus quod Deus ut amo te. Veritatem dico semper etiam si eam ducit ad mortem tuam. Tuendam inops et facere no mali.

So, I'm a bit lost...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 18:32 (26 days ago) @ JimT

There will be only two (initially) bullets offered; a 135 and a 150. OK, fine. They will be running at about 3000 and 2900 fps, give or take. That's smack dab .308 territory WRT weight and velocity. Yeah, I get how a .277" bullet will have some better numbers than a similar one in .308" but you're paying for it with an extra 20kpsi!

What's the real gain here? Not saying I'm against it but I'm unclear on what is so much better.

Maybe ... "It Ain't A .22?" (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, April 03, 2024, 20:21 (26 days ago) @ Hoot

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Well....there is that.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, April 04, 2024, 07:30 (25 days ago) @ JimT

:-D :-D

For the service round the Army designed…

by mcassill, Thursday, April 11, 2024, 20:21 (18 days ago) @ Hoot

A projectile, and specified that it had to be launched at a certain velocity from whatever rifle/cartridge industry came up with. IIRC it needed to be able to penetrate armor at a certain (way out there) distance.

by Jared, Friday, April 05, 2024, 07:15 (24 days ago) @ JimT

It will be interesting to see how the rifles hold up long term at those kinds of pressures.

Just from my recollection on smallarms maintenance

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Friday, April 05, 2024, 10:54 (24 days ago) @ Jared

of some of Uncle's more specialized weapons, I'd say there's a lot more detailed technical inspections along with round count part life cycle replacement because that an insane working pressure.

--
Esse sine metu in facie inimici tui. Sit fortis et rectus quod Deus ut amo te. Veritatem dico semper etiam si eam ducit ad mortem tuam. Tuendam inops et facere no mali.

Always look don't listen...

by Byron, Friday, April 26, 2024, 14:40 (3 days ago) @ Miles

My son is an Airborne Arctic Warfare LRRP ( Long Range Recon Patrol Sargent) stationed in Alaska.

He and some of his very tough and expert infantry soldiers are back from a month at Black Rapids testing this new rifle in cold weather, as in 50 below.

His team had mixed feeling about the new system after firing 1000s of rounds of the new .277 round and living in the wild with it for a month.

The enjoyed shooting the new round and rifle however a number of problems showed up causing them to give it a "thumbs down".

First, it is ridiculously expensive. Not exactly sure but between the rifle, suppressor and fancy electronic/optical sight somewhere in the 8K range. M4 is around $700.00

Second, the optic has rubber buttons on it to control various functions. Unfortunately, below 20 below the rubber gets hard and the scope can not be used as designed. Oops...

Also you will remember that the M4 has a hinged trigger guard that will swing down allowing the weapon to be operated with gloves. The new SIG has the trigger guard machined into the lower and as such can not be fired with gloves on. Ooops...

The ergonomics of the rifle in cold weather caused a MCE due to frostbite on the soldiers faces when they attempted to take a cheek weld.

They loved shooting the machine gun version and considered it superior to the SAW or PIG.

He said that for his job as LRRP it would be great with a few changes but for general infantry the M4 wins all the way.

Again his opinions are something to pay attention to and his opinion is that small arms are great but artillery and air power is what kills bodies and wins wars.

On the line it is no real big deal and much adieu about nothing.

B

RSS Feed of thread