Shockwave Raptor grip

by A K Church, Monday, January 29, 2024, 20:23 (96 days ago)
edited by A K Church, Tuesday, January 30, 2024, 04:17

I have a properly Form 1'd short barreled shotgun. It's the 12" barrel and 3 shot magazine off an '80s Mossberg AOW, attached to the action of a 2020s vintage Maverick 88. 12G, 3" chamber.

It almost always has a buttstock attached. I have a hard time with pistol grip shotguns in that I usually get a false index of elevation. But since I can put a pistol grip on it, sometimes I want to, just for giggles.

Anyway, point is, the Shockwave Raptor grip, combined with the shooter pulling forward with the non-firing hand...well you can comfortably shoot a lot of full power buckshot with no discomfort. 15 rounds today, no particular pain from it.

I think most people know this by now, but if you don't, it works.

When we make our move to the coast of Oregon….

by Otony, Wednesday, January 31, 2024, 10:55 (95 days ago) @ A K Church
edited by Otony, Wednesday, January 31, 2024, 15:33

…..I intend to do the paperwork for a Class III Mossberg 590A1 with a 14” barrel. It comes with a standard buttstock, which I intend to swap out for a stock that has a shorter length of pull, maybe 12” or 13”, just to get it a bit more compact overall (it is 33” from the factory).

Having shot quite a few Shockwaves (I probably sold a couple of dozen or more at the shop) I agree that it is the only pistol grip that is effective, but it still puts the shotgun into the position of either a toy or a last, last chance whipit gun. You will get no argument from me that at times we just “need” that sort of stuff in our lives, but I’m way more inclined to do the shorter than usual stock.

Otony

Yass, yass indeedy...

by A K Church, Wednesday, January 31, 2024, 19:44 (94 days ago) @ Otony
edited by A K Church, Thursday, February 01, 2024, 03:32

I have another SBS I've Form 1'd. Well, actually 2, counting a Winchester Model 25. But the Winchester is another story.

A friend gave me a pistol grip only Maverick 88. When all was complete the 15 1/2'' barrel (cut even with the standard mag tube) had a 590 forend and action slide, a 590 heatshield, and the buttstock was a barely used plastic Maverick.

Anyway, it about duplicated the 590 ergonomics, and they work really well with a shorty. I think you are on a good path, Mr. Otony.

Shockwave Raptor grip

by Brien @, NWArkansas, Wednesday, January 31, 2024, 14:15 (95 days ago) @ A K Church

I've wrapped a couple of shockwave grips with paracord. It keeps them from sliding while shooting.

Shockwave Raptor grip

by A K Church, Wednesday, January 31, 2024, 21:32 (94 days ago) @ Brien

If you do the "pull forward with the non firing hand, and rearward with the firing hand" technique, sliding around is about a non issue for me.

I didn't come up with the stance, so I take no credit. But it works for me.

RSS Feed of thread