Did everybody.....

by RayLee, Monday, January 22, 2024, 21:21 (103 days ago)

I saw that.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 08:04 (103 days ago) @ RayLee

Interesting for certain.

Did everybody.....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 17:58 (103 days ago) @ RayLee

I don’t know I’ve heard the theory that the smaller shot size doesn’t grab the rifling. Not sure I believe it either!

I don’t shoot many, but I have made some pretty good shotshells for .45 colt and acp revolvers, using .30/40 Krag, .444 Marlin and .308 brass in moon clips. I haven’t tested them for velocities but payload is pretty similar to .410 shotshells.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Did everybody.....

by Catoosa, Tuesday, January 23, 2024, 23:32 (102 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Has anyone ever tried shooting CCI .44 plastic shot capsules in a .45? Would take a bit of finagling to get a crimp on the smaller diameter capsule, but said capsule might not take much spin from the rifling.

FWIW, years ago I loaded some .357 diameter shot capsules into .38 S&W cases and shot them in an old .38 S&W revolver with a worn bore that was at least .360 or larger. Limited testing on paper targets and one 3' timber rattler seemed to show good patterns at short range. Number 9 shot and a dab of Bullseye, IIRC.

I once did limited testing of shot loads with a sixgun.

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, January 24, 2024, 07:25 (102 days ago) @ Catoosa

Overall I found no use for them. I killed a lot of rattlers with .22 Single Six and standard .22 Long Rifle ammo. The .357 worked just fine no matter whether I had 125 gr. jacketed or 173 gr. cast SWC. Same with the .45 Colt and whatever I had it loaded with. Plus I did not have to get so close to make 'em work.

Around the house a hoe or a shovel worked just dandy also, although I shot more than a couple in our driveway over the years.

I know some who spend a lot of time experimenting with such things and that's great, for them. We all should pursue what interests us. It just never interested me.

Now the 20 ga. shotgun? Or the 12? That interests me. At 5 to 15 feet they will vaporize the part of the snake you are aiming at, using just plain or #8 or #6 loads.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I once did limited testing of shot loads with a sixgun.

by A K Church, Wednesday, January 24, 2024, 17:52 (102 days ago) @ JimT

Talked to dude once who'd done the tax and paperwork, then put together a smoothbore .410x2 1/2" on a TC Contender. 8" barrel, best I recall.

That might be a useful pistol to have around.

Did everybody.....

by E Sisk, Wednesday, January 24, 2024, 16:14 (102 days ago) @ RayLee

Experimented long ago with hand rolled paper shot cartridges in 45 Colt. Now, when doing chore's, I always have my stainless Bearcat loaded With four NastiNosed CCI CB's and two NastiNosed Velocitors. [image]

Nice one.....

by Catoosa, Thursday, January 25, 2024, 10:46 (101 days ago) @ E Sisk

Boy that's a healthy-looking sucker! How long was it?

A few years ago a work colleague of mine killed one over in the Big Sandy bottoms in west Tennessee that was just under 6 feet. He found it coiled under his ATV when returning from a turkey hunt.

It might have made 6 feet if not for the several inches removed by his 3 inch magnum turkey load........

I killed a lot of rattlers all the years I lived in Arizona

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, January 25, 2024, 12:16 (101 days ago) @ Catoosa

Only killed one that was 6 feet or better.

Deer hunting on a warm day, I was climbing up these rocks. As I went to put my hand on the rock above me, a bit above head level, I saw it looking at me, waiting, coiled up. I jumped back and pulled the Single Six and put a bullet through its head.

I pulled it down .. man it was heavy ... and holding by the neck I held it up at arms length and a bit of the tail was dragging on the ground. It was a monster!

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I liked what a hot .357, .44 Magnum or .45 Colt did

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, January 25, 2024, 12:19 (101 days ago) @ JimT

to them when you caught them sunning on a rock. Shoot just under them and the disintegrating bullet and all the rock chips just made a sieve out of them. I watched my Dad do that with his .44 Magnum to a good sized one laying on a big rock. That snake lifted up in the air several inches and was pretty much blown apart. It was pretty cool!

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Driving on a single lane road…..

by Otony, Thursday, January 25, 2024, 13:34 (101 days ago) @ Catoosa

…..on the eastern side of Mount Hamilton (below Lick Observatory) we saw a rattlesnake that spanned the roadway! Head and tail were actually in the shoulder on either side!

We were approaching it at a pretty good clip, and I was shouting for everyone to roll up their windows (there were four of us in the car). I was afraid if we ran over it the head would flip up into the vehicle.

Mr. Rattler was smarter and faster than I, it was out of the road before we got to it. I was too rattled (heh!) to slow down but it all worked out. We probably saw at least a dozen rattlers that day, but none others as big as that one.

Otony

Snake Stories.

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, January 25, 2024, 14:44 (101 days ago) @ Otony

I am sure I told this before but while in Mozambique, one evening I was driving a worker back to his camp. It was about 3 or 4 miles and since it gets dark about 6PM it was a dark night. He was gonna walk and I told him no, I would drive him.

Coming down this track, a Rock Python crawled across the track in front of us. It was a young one, about 15 or 18 feet long. But it stopped in the road and I was not about to try and run over it. It did not move so I told the guy I was giving a ride to get out and take a picture of it and scare it away. He called me a nasty name and would not get out of the truck. I opened the drivers door and stamped my foot on the ground and that durn snake raised up over the hood and looked in the front window! I said a bad word and rolled the windows up.

It eventually moved on and so did we.

Some asked me why I didn't drive over it. I said that if it got wound up in the undercarriage I would have had to set the truck on fire and I did not want to do that.

The largest Rock Python that I heard of was 27 feet long.

[image]
A young Boa Constrictor

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Nice one.....

by E Sisk, Thursday, January 25, 2024, 15:24 (101 days ago) @ Catoosa

Not that long, 39" if I remember correctly. He swam by while I was feeding fish in my pond. Picture is not photo shopped in any way. Truth in advertising, I shot him at seven yards on the swim the day before this picture. He instantly disappeared, wasn't sure I got him, he floated up the next day.

RSS Feed of thread