Comparisons

by JimT, Texas, Friday, January 05, 2024, 17:58 (120 days ago)

The "9mm vs .45 ACP" argument has gone on for a hundred years and will likely continue. Since its development in 1901 the 9mm has served in military engagements and Police forces around the world. It has worked pretty much as well as any of the major military handgun cartridges in countless battles, large and small. And the .45 ACP has a similar record. Yet the disagreements between adherents rages on, fueled in large part by writers and companies interested in selling their products.

Is one "better" than the other? Generally speaking, in deadly interpersonal confrontation situations, most of the time accuracy is more important than caliber .... with quite a few "maybes" thrown in. What counts when bullets are flying back and forth is the ability to put accurate shots in the place they must go to stop the fight. Accuracy under pressure comes from training, practice, and a personal confidence in the firearm being used. And accuracy is what gets the job done. Many shoot the 9mm handguns with more confidence than the larger calibers. Recoil is not heavy and follow-up shots can be accomplished fairly rapidly with decent accuracy provided the shooter practices. And that depends on many many details of the individuals life. But overall most people will shoot the lighter recoiling firearm better than the heavier recoiling one.

I prefer the .45 ACP to the 9mm ... but that is just a personal prejudice. I own a 9mm but don't shoot it much. I took it out a few weeks ago and had a lot of fun with it. The gun is accurate and it sets well in my hand. It is easy to shoot and make good hits with. I have only carried it as a CCW gun a couple times, preferring a .45 ACP though after shooting the 9mm for awhile I would not be against using it for concealed carry.

But I still prefer the .45.

[image]

[image]

[image]

Then along comes the LATEST AND GREATEST! THE .30 SUPER CARRY!
This is the only carry gun you will ever need. It will beat the 9mm and the big fat slow .45. Etc and etc. and so on and so forth.

Data

.30 Super Carry
.312” diameter bullet
100 gr. Bullet @ 1250 fps
pressure = 50,000 psi

.32 H&R Magnum
.312” diameter bullet
100 gr. Bullet @ 1208 fps
pressure = 21,000 CUP

So Basically it's a .32 H&R. I didn't realize the .32 H&R was so deadly! And I wonder why they didn't bring up one of their earlier .32's .....

327 Federal Magnum
.312” diameter bullet
100 gr. Bullet @ 1400 fps or 1655 fps
pressure = 45,000 psi (maximum)

That will outperform the .30 Super Carry. (But it doesn't have "Super Carry" in it's name. I suppose that makes a difference in how it works.)

Just for grins here's the .30 Carbine
.30 Carbine
.308” diameter bullet
110 gr. Bullet @ 1990 fps (rifle ... 1500 fps handgun)
pressure = 40,000 CUP

[image]

I have not read many "gun" articles about these but ones I did look at seemed to not remember the .32 H&R Magnum or the .327 Federal Magnum.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

"...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

by JohnKDM, Friday, January 05, 2024, 18:05 (120 days ago) @ JimT

That bit from Macbeth comes to mind when I think of these small-caliber-high-velocity cartridges.

To me, they make way too much noise for the work done.

"...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing"

by JimT, Texas, Friday, January 05, 2024, 18:10 (120 days ago) @ JohnKDM

PERFECT!

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Firing a little 50,000 psi pistol sounds scary. no text

by Bob Hatfield @, Saturday, January 06, 2024, 11:03 (120 days ago) @ JimT

nt

TRUE! . no text

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, January 06, 2024, 11:16 (120 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Comparisons

by A K Church, Saturday, January 06, 2024, 16:06 (120 days ago) @ JimT

If there were no question of 9mm vs. .45ACP, then no gun magazines would have been sold in the 70s and 80s.

Who was the guy that promoted the .357 as 'ultimate' ..

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, January 06, 2024, 17:33 (119 days ago) @ A K Church

"IT'S A DEATH RAY! IT'S A DEATH RAY!"

The last article I looked at, the writer said the .357 is one of the best but it's too much for people to handle! I am not sure what .357 he is talking about .... and what "too much" means.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Who was the guy that promoted the .357 as 'ultimate' ..

by A K Church, Saturday, January 06, 2024, 20:13 (119 days ago) @ JimT

Marshall and Sanow, I think.

YES ... they are the ones. (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, January 06, 2024, 20:29 (119 days ago) @ A K Church

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

They compiled Police one shot stops...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, January 10, 2024, 09:29 (116 days ago) @ A K Church

Their data was so offensive to so many it ended both their writing careers. I know Evan and he still carries a 41 mag, .357 SIG or 9mm with a .357 J frame.
There is some reasoned conjecture that since many of the one shot stops with a .357 mag were in low lit areas/after dark, many of the "one shot stops" were as much psychological and physical. Even though the fight was stopped there was a better than 50% survival rate for the perpetrator.
Shot placement is far more important.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Too much SNAP for my preference...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, January 06, 2024, 20:19 (119 days ago) @ JimT

every now and then I borrow a 357 while up north. Shoot it a bit and remember why I don't own one. At least not yet. :-D I keep thinking MAYBE I'll buy one, but the ones I'm interested in are few and far between. So, in my case, the 357 is too much loud. Haven't shot enough 327 Federal through the wife's little seven shooter to remember, but likely it's about same same for obnoxious. She's shot it enough to know she prefers the 32 SWL.

I've still never seen a 30 Super Carry, but last summer saw a bunch of ammo offered for sale, while "old" calibers were still absent from the same shelves. Seems to me they'd have been miles ahead to furnish the ammo folks need for the guns they already have, but I'm not a fancy pants marketing dude, so what do I know?

I've still never seen a 30 Super Carry,

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Sunday, January 07, 2024, 03:04 (119 days ago) @ Paul

Next time you're up, you can take a gander at Dad's S&W EZ (or what was Dad's before he decided it hurt to shoot it and I decided that it would remain in inventory as another deep concealment pocket pistol)
Yeah, it's kind of like a semi-auto .32 H&R

--
Esse sine metu in facie inimici tui. Sit fortis et rectus quod Deus ut amo te. Veritatem dico semper etiam si eam ducit ad mortem tuam. Tuendam inops et facere no mali.

RSS Feed of thread