Need a 12 gauge barrel blank…..

by Otony, Thursday, January 04, 2024, 20:07 (122 days ago)

…..does such a thing exist?

I lucked into a Greener GP, a real one, not one of the odd shotguns they made up for British colonial troops.

It is stamped Greener GP, correct in every respect to include being a takedown. Unfortunately the barrel is a lost cause, and will need replacing which is a rather straightforward proposition as I understand it.

Years ago McGowen used to offer 12 gauge rifles barrel blanks, but I haven’t seen those listed in years. The thought of a big Martini with both a smoothbore AND a rifled barrel makes me have the vapors!

Otony

Shaw?

by cas, Thursday, January 04, 2024, 21:33 (122 days ago) @ Otony

Shaw?

by Otony, Thursday, January 04, 2024, 22:09 (122 days ago) @ cas

Yes, thank you, I found those after posting. I will very likely get one, but now the search is on for a smoothbore barrel, preferably at least 28” long.

I vaguely recall factory GP barrels as having an option for a screw on choke system. Anyone else recall that?

Otony

by E Sisk, Friday, January 05, 2024, 00:07 (122 days ago) @ Otony

by Boggus Deal, Monday, January 08, 2024, 07:14 (118 days ago) @ Otony

Otony,
I have in the past taken a barrel from a single shot like an H&R and turned it down and made a blank out of it.

by Otony, Monday, January 08, 2024, 21:29 (118 days ago) @ Boggus Deal

That is in my thoughts, but I’m truly hoping Bob Hoyt will pull a rabbit out of his hat!

"truly hoping Bob Hoyt will pull a rabbit out of his hat!"

by cas, Wednesday, January 10, 2024, 15:51 (116 days ago) @ Otony

Muzzle loader fame Bob Hoyt?

"truly hoping Bob Hoyt will pull a rabbit out of his hat!"

by Otony, Thursday, January 11, 2024, 22:15 (115 days ago) @ cas

Yes, he will build barrels suitable for centerfire cartridges on occasion, but only old school stuff. I am hoping he might build me a 12 gauge barrel for 2.75” shells, which is what the Greener is chambered for.

Failing that it is either rebarrel with a Shaw rifled blank, or more interestingly, line to .577 Snider

Otony

Not sure if this applies...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, January 12, 2024, 08:54 (114 days ago) @ Otony

but there has been recent discussion over on GunBoards about .577 Martinis. Yours may be a different animal?

https://www.gunboards.com/threads/martini-in-577-calibre.1251928/#post-11359315

Not sure if this applies...

by Otony, Friday, January 12, 2024, 19:37 (114 days ago) @ Hoot

Not really. The Greener GP (General Purpose) was always single shot shotgun, built as a takedown and made right into the late 1970s. Production began sometime after WWI, and these were meant for the sort of work they were named for, General Purpose.

They were noted for having finely bored barrels that produced excellent patterns with an amazingly wide variety of shot sizes, even buckshot and slugs! Oftentimes built up specifically for use at the trap range, with ventilated rib and different stock configurations.

Towards the end of production Greener offered an adjustable choke, the exact design of which I can no longer recall clearly, but I believe it had externally threaded choke tubes.

These differ from the various police shotguns that Greener made, in that those were NOT take-down and of course those were also chambered for the odd, all brass, bottlenecked shells (I’m pretty sure I have a couple of those rounds still, I did own several of those abominations over the years).

The take-down feature is what truly differentiates these from military Martinis. Insofar as I can determine, none of the GPs were ever built as rifles, only shotguns. My only reason for mentioning lining the existing barrel to build a .577 Snider is that I have always been enthralled with the .50-70 Government cartridge, and the .577 is all that and a bag of chips! Plus it seems somewhat appropriate somehow, and believe or not, brass is relatively easy to come by, even in this day and age. I’ve always felt that huge chunks of lead at pedestrian velocities have a place in the natural order of things.

Otony

OK...I was reading about the .577 on GB

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, January 12, 2024, 19:41 (114 days ago) @ Otony

and wondered.

So much to know....

RSS Feed of thread