Western Bullet Co. .44's

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, January 02, 2024, 09:28 (124 days ago)

I think I've posted this before but just in case someone missed it or would like to see it again
:-)

Bullet 430185. This bullet was originally designed for the .44 Colt. It is an outside lubricated bullet. It is nominally 210 grains and has no lube grooves or crimp groove. The heel is .430" and the bullet body is .441".

[image]

Using it in the .44 Special. Begin with a cartridge that has been fired in YOUR gun.
DO NOT RESIZE IT if it will slip into the chamber without binding.
Use a taper reamer and remove any traces of remaining crimp.

1. Deprime
2. Prime
3. Add powder charge
4. Seat the bullet by hand .. thumb pressure .. pushing it into the cartridge until it stops.

Bullet can be lubed with Lee Liquid Alox beforehand or grease can be smeared lightly on it just before chambering it.

[image]

[image]

[image]

It's best to make up a dummy round first and try to chamber it in your gun. If you have a tight chamber the round will not enter completely. The only recourse then is to use .44 Russian brass or set aside 50 or 100 cases and trim .100" off them. My USFA .44 Special uses untrimmed brass OK, but not all .44 Specials will.

Bullets can be lubed with Lee Liquid Alox beforehand or grease can be smeared lightly on it just before chambering it. Once you fire it, pop the cartridge out of the gun and do steps 1 through 4 again and it will be ready to shoot. No sizing, no crimping. Brass will last indefinitely.
These are for practice loads only. Recommended velocity is under 900 fps. With 4.5 gr. Bullseye from my 5 1/2" .44 Special velocity averaged 760 fps.

[image]
Unfired - TOP Fired - Bottom

[image]

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Western Bullet Co. .44's

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Tuesday, January 02, 2024, 15:54 (123 days ago) @ JimT

Simple loading & good shooting.

RSS Feed of thread