A Bullet Experiment from boredom or possibly mental issues

by JimT, Texas, Friday, December 29, 2023, 21:35 (127 days ago)

but no alcohol or drugs were involved.

It started one day when I had nothing going on. Messing around in the shop I got to looking at the 480 Achilles Huffaker bullet.

[image]

I wondered, "How would it work if I sized it down and shot it in the .45 Colt?" Asking yourself questions is one thing but the answer was immediate. "WHY NOT TRY IT AND SEE?"

So I dug out my Lee push-through sizing dies and ran a few of the bullets through the .457" die, then switched and ran those through the .452" die. PERFECT!

[image]

I loaded them into the .45 Colt cases with 6.0 gr. of Green Dot powder.

[image]

I set up a bunch of old towels and shop rags and fired one into them to see what the bullet looked like. I had about 18" of cloth which proved to be enough. The bullet came within 4" of exiting the cloth, hey, it stopped before exiting so all is OK.

[image]

[image]

[image]

The next day I went to the Range and shot some targets with them at 20 yards. Accuracy was crap. Not sure why. It could be the powder charge. But they were enough work that I have not made any more.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

A Bullet Experiment from boredom or possibly mental issues

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, December 30, 2023, 08:57 (127 days ago) @ JimT

Interesting stuff! I wonder how they would do if you stopped at 457 and shot them through a 45/70. What is the weight?

I have a old special run Lee mold that is supposed to be a gallery bullet for 45/70. It’s a roughly 240gr hollow based round nose. I’ve had it for decades and lost he paper that came with it explaining where it came from and what loads to shoot, but I’ve never shot it in a 45/70! I’ve shot many hundreds and probably thousands of them through my CAS guns I had back in the day, a pair of 1872 open tops and an 1860 Henry all in .45 S&W over BP.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

It weighs 290 gr. ... cast pretty soft. (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, December 30, 2023, 09:01 (127 days ago) @ Slow Hand

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Oh.. it's a heel bullet. The heel is .451" or so. (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, December 30, 2023, 09:02 (127 days ago) @ JimT

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Then you should know what's next.

by cas, Saturday, December 30, 2023, 18:37 (127 days ago) @ JimT

Flip em around and shoot em that way.

I had some 300 gr. HB .45's that I loaded that way.

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, December 30, 2023, 18:40 (127 days ago) @ cas

Shot a ram with it on Mark Hampton's property back when.

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

If the link works.....

by RayLee, Saturday, December 30, 2023, 23:53 (126 days ago) @ JimT

Thanks Ray. That was the one. I made a poor shot with that

by JimT, Texas, Sunday, December 31, 2023, 06:50 (126 days ago) @ RayLee
edited by JimT, Sunday, December 31, 2023, 07:15

and the old Keith bullet that I normally used works so well that I never tried it again. Getting old I am making the same mistakes again! :-)

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

RSS Feed of thread