Javelina

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, December 27, 2023, 23:28 (129 days ago)

Called a "peccary "or a "collared peccary" .. some say they are not a pig but they root like a pig, poop only in one place like a pig, and sound like pigs, even though they are much smaller and daintier than pigs.

But they are fun to hunt! Most American hunters make the mistake of trying to shoot them at longer ranges. If you take your time and are careful, you can get a shot measured in feet instead of yards. It makes hunting them a really fun challenge.

I have killed a truckload of them over the years using these calibers.

.22 Long Rifle Standard Velocity with a bullet I flat-nosed
.22 Magnum
.32-20
.41 Magnum
.44 Remington cap and ball
.45 Colt
454 Casull
480 Achilles

[image]
1986 - I used my Linebaugh Custom .45 Colt Ruger .. SSK 270 gr. cast 18.5 gr. 2400 .. I was sitting on a rock, tired from walking. Took out my coyote call and blew it a bit and Javelina started running all around me. I picked out one that was about 20 yards or so away and nailed it. When I got it home I saw it had a nice size head so I took it to the taxidermist and had him measure it. It scored as the largest taken with a handgun in SCI and 3rd largest overall. I donated the skull to the SCI museum in Tucson.

[image]
1987 - I used my 454 Casull .. Roger Barnes cast 300 gr. @ 1400 fps .. didn't need the power but the accuracy was so amazing! I made a 20 yard shot aiming for the left eye and centered it.

[image]
1988 - I used the 44 cap & ball Remington copy .. .460" ball .. full load of FFFg .. 30 yard shot.

[image]
1997 - I used the .41 Magnum with a 200 gr. Speer JHP ..20 gr. H110 ... about a 6 foot shot as the pig was running directly at me

[image]
2002 - Used my Reeder Custom Vaquero .45 Colt .. 200 gr. Cor-Bon factory load .. 15 yard shot as it ran past me.

[image]
2005 - 480 Achilles ... 290 gr. Bittner cast bullet .. 12 gr. 2400 ... about a 30 foot shot. I hit it through the jaw as it ran across in front of me .. as it went past I put the second shot into the right ham and the bullet exited the left front shoulder.

I shot a bunch of these at different times over the years. Sometimes I was shooting them out of my yard where they were eating the dog food and rooting up the flower beds. Twyla made great meals with them. I always found them challenging and fun to hunt.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Nicht Gut

by A K Church, Thursday, December 28, 2023, 18:18 (128 days ago) @ JimT
edited by A K Church, Thursday, December 28, 2023, 19:27

on the photos, sadly.

My mother was somewhere in her 70s when she and my stepfather decided to rent a place in AZ for the winter. Somewhere within an hour of the border.

Anyway, mom came out one morning to see a javelina on the driveway between her and the car. She'd never heard of javelina, she just described them as "little wild pigs". Now that this one was blocking access to the Blazer miffed her very much, so much so she yelled at it and shook her umbrella. It ran off scared.

I guess if you don't know it can't possibly work, maybe it can work.

I have no clue why the photos won't work for some ....

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, December 28, 2023, 18:24 (128 days ago) @ A K Church

or is it everyone?

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

No joy here Jim.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, December 28, 2023, 19:25 (128 days ago) @ JimT

Sorry...

If it's useful: Firefox browser, Windows, umm, 11? I think.

I've used Firefox ... DuckduckGo .. all in Windows 11 ...

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, December 28, 2023, 20:30 (128 days ago) @ Hoot

this is the only forum where they are not showing up.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

RSS Feed of thread