So...

by A K Church, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 02:24 (134 days ago)
edited by A K Church, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 15:42

Been having real trouble shooting worth a crap. Some of it, likely much of it is declined skill set. I don't shoot enough.

Also, been finding as I have aged, and especially in the last year, the red dot in the non magnifying optics on around half my fleet, is becoming a fuzzy blob. Look, same thing is happening with oncoming headlights.

My eyesight has changed a lot in the last year, and I'm not happy with my new glasses.

Question to all: Do you have problems with bifocals and dot sights?

So...

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 05:46 (134 days ago) @ A K Church

YES.....when using a red dot sight I usually see a 6-9 dot cluster with no clear answer as to which one is the correct one for accurate aiming. Works ok for general banging on a steel target but no good for accuracy or group shooting. By accident I discovered how to deal with red dots and bifocal glasses......use the upper part of the lense, one for distance, and like magic I see only one dot. I was always tilting my head backwards to use the lower, reading part of the lense which didn't help matters.

Somedays I hate red dot sights and on others I can live with them but the older I get the less I like them. On my 300 Blackout SBR I mounted a Leupold 1.5-5x VX3 HD, no much slower for fast aiming but with a whole lot bette aiming point. And on my latest AR upper build I mounted a Vortex Spitefire 5x Prism sight, etched glass reticle, much better than a red dot, though Prism sights are pricey but I got a deal on this one and really like it.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

I have always refused bifocals. Hunting in rough country

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 06:37 (134 days ago) @ A K Church

was hard enough without the bother of trying to see what you were stepping over and through by bobbing your head around. And I can see printing easy enough without any glasses so I just take my glasses off to read.

BUT ..the eyes change as you age! I just ordered new ones this week. I had noticed that looking through a scope, my right eye blurred the view while it was nice and clear with the left eye!

And with open sights, the right eye was good but with the left eye the front sight was leaning markedly to the left. Astigmatism. -sigh-

But we keep on.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I have always refused bifocals. Hunting in rough country

by JT, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 18:32 (134 days ago) @ JimT

Me too! My hunting glasses do not have a reading lens and are yellow coated. They work very well.

I've worn bifocals for probably a decade or better now.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 08:07 (134 days ago) @ A K Church

Like Gunner, using the distance portion of the lens works for me. It's kind of natural as I am already looking at the target and transposing the dot over it.

And, until Jim mentioned it, I guess my head bobs around a lot while working through the woods. Even in town, I'm always dropping my head to check the sidewalk in front of me. I don't really think about it much.

The joke in our little open sight pistol league is you can always tell who has bifocals because they've got their head back like they're looking at the ceiling in order to focus on the sights.

So...

by Otony, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 09:37 (134 days ago) @ A K Church

I am an anachronism in that I followed in my Dad’s footsteps and wear two different pairs of glasses, one for reading and the other for distance. It can be an issue only if I fail to drag along the needed pair, but that’s what pockets are for!

As to your problems with a Red Dot, often times it is a matter of having astigmatism. It doesn’t play well together with dot sights unfortunately. There can be a bit of a fix though, try wearing polarized glasses, a decent quality set. For whatever reason, I find that helps immensely with the astigmatism problem, although it opens up the expense of now buying yet another pair of doctor issued glasses.

As an aside, I had been having a terrible amount of trouble shooting my 1920 built Winchester Winder musket. Diminished skill sets (and probably capacity) as well as failing eyesight made for terrible range trips. I opened up the size of the peep aperture, but what helped even more was clipping on a Gehmann rotary diopter to my glasses. It works a true charm, I assure you.

Merry Christmas brother, I hope you have a comfortable season!

Otony

So...

by A K Church, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 15:41 (134 days ago) @ Otony

And, yes, I do a small amount of astigmatism in my left eye...ironically, my much stronger eye.

My December 2022 eye exam, the optometrist told me it was there, but was several years from being a real issue. Maybe I'm ahead of schedule.

I can't even tell you how cool I think Winchester muskets are.

So...

by Otony, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 21:57 (133 days ago) @ A K Church
edited by Otony, Sunday, December 24, 2023, 06:44

Mine is of a half dozen or so made that year in .22LR, the remaining bazillion produced in 1920 were all .22 Short.

Feed it CCI Standard Velocity and it will say “thank you daddy”.

I have about a half-dozen different apertures for it now, but I had a fellow machine an adapter so I can screw in a metric Anschutz diopter. It saves having to clip on the Gehmann, but it protrudes to the rear more than I like.

A couple of my younger (much) buddies were giving me grief for shooting a rifle that is 103 years old, until I reminded them it was only 35 years old when I was born. Shut them up fast, lol!

Otony

So...

by A K Church, Sunday, December 24, 2023, 05:58 (133 days ago) @ Otony
edited by A K Church, Sunday, December 24, 2023, 08:47

One of the ones I really regret letting go was an 1860s/70s muzzleloading small game rifle by a surprisingly prolific Ohio maker, one Adam Stilgenbauer, of Winesburg. Mr Stilgenbauer literally spanned the flintlock to the centerfire era.

Really neat little scaled down 1/2 half stock rifle. Octagonal barrel in .36, rear sight screw adjustable for elevation, nickel silver furniture, and fairly nicely grained cherry stock. Double set triggers.

The outfits still making frontstuffers this late were pretty much buying components from suppliers like Great Western Gun Works in Pennsylvania, and hanging them on a stock they made. This was such. I suspect it had originally had been maybe a .32 and rebored later, but I can not say that w/ certainly.

Decent shooter. Crisco soaked patch, 20 grains of 3f, and the hot cheap Italian #11 caps you can no longer get. It made meat for me a couple of times.

It woulda been 80 or 90 years older than me.

So...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 16:31 (134 days ago) @ Otony

I’ve had astigmatism as long as I can remember, that’s why I wear gas permeable contacts in stead of soft lenses. I always thought my seeing a ‘comet’ when shooting with a red dot was due to me being cheap. When I finally bought an AimPoint I was so excited until I looked through it and still saw the same fuzzy dot and streak! That’s interesting to hear about polarized glasses, I’ve never read that before.
For cheaper glasses, check out Zenni Optical. With contacts, I only wear my glasses a coupe, of hours a day so I hated to spend $300 on something like that. I got glasses from Zenni for about $30. You just have to have your script and you can order many different styles. I’m sure they do bifocals, but haven’t looked. They do make photogray style and also script (the forum won’t let me post the pre-scription word) sunglasses and safety glasses.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

So...

by A K Church, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 19:54 (134 days ago) @ Slow Hand

On 'tother hand, I am atypically prone to pretty decent dot optics. I've had a SIG on top of a Crickett, for instance, the optic worth half again more than the rifle.

I've been known to put a $40 saddle on a $10 horse ....

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 19:59 (134 days ago) @ A K Church

for instance ...

[image]

Ivories on a Filipino 1911.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I've been known to put a $40 saddle on a $10 horse ....

by A K Church, Sunday, December 24, 2023, 05:59 (133 days ago) @ JimT

Image is dead for me, Reverend.

Something weird going on ....

by JimT, Texas, Sunday, December 24, 2023, 07:37 (133 days ago) @ A K Church

never had problems posting photos before.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

This ?

by RayLee, Sunday, December 24, 2023, 07:48 (133 days ago) @ JimT

Yessir. Same exact photo .... ???? (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Sunday, December 24, 2023, 08:20 (133 days ago) @ RayLee

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Tri-focals for me last 25 years

by E Sisk, Saturday, December 23, 2023, 20:22 (134 days ago) @ A K Church

Top is arms length focus, front sight/computer screen. Middle is distance, red dots. Bottom is close up, reading, working on small parts.

Trifocals

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, December 24, 2023, 12:04 (133 days ago) @ A K Church

I got trifocals since my job requires a fair amount of computer work, doesn't mix well with my Vernier sight on the Sharps, have trouble at times with the front sight some 36" away.

Dave

Two products that have helped me…

by DMann, Sunday, December 24, 2023, 13:28 (133 days ago) @ A K Church

https://sspeyewear.com/products/top-focal-ast-kit - just tip your head down and there’s the front sight all crisp and clear…, and you don’t feel drunk if you look down for brass or snakes or such.

https://www.lymanproducts.com/brands/lyman/sights/eyepalr Since Merit Optics seems to be out of business, this is a decent replacement for their adjustable aperture that would suction cup to your glasses.

Have not tried with red (or any other color) dots, but sharp edges are available with either of the above.

Merit adjustable apertures pop up on eBay occasionally.

Merry Christmas.

Doug Mann

RSS Feed of thread