The Armed Citizen

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Thursday, October 05, 2023, 09:32 (226 days ago)

On October 5, 1892 Coffeyville, Kansas became a very unfriendly place for the Dalton Gang. These guys were a murderous bunch. They robbed & killed anyone who got in the way. They decided to rob 2 banks in Coffeyville but while inside the banks the residents of Coffeyville gathered their guns & challenged the outlaws with gun fire. When the shooting was done all the Dalton Gang were dead except for Emmett Dalton who survived 23 gunshot wounds. Four of the townspeople were also killed.

Law Enforcement tried to stop these guys over the years but in the end it was the "armed citizen" that prevailed over evil.

[image]
[image]

THE FIGHTING BUNCH

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, October 05, 2023, 10:29 (226 days ago) @ Creeker

The true story of the WWII vets who fought one last battle — in their own hometown — for the right to vote ... When a corrupt political machine denied them their right to vote, these World War II veterans took the battlefield one last time, winning the only successful armed rebellion since the American Revolution.

https://taskandpurpose.com/history/the-fighting-bunch-book-excerpt/

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

A Great Read, thanks Jim....NT

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Thursday, October 05, 2023, 14:46 (226 days ago) @ JimT

THE FIGHTING BUNCH

by A K Church, Thursday, October 05, 2023, 18:02 (226 days ago) @ JimT

My father was one. We had a pretty bad relationship, but that is a thing about him I cannot help but admire.

In his case it was the Democratic machine out of Fort Smith AR.

Every time I drive through there...

by Paul ⌂, Friday, October 06, 2023, 08:30 (225 days ago) @ Creeker

I think about that incident. Coffeyville, KS is STILL a quiet little backwater town in SE Kansas. It's right on the way to various places we visit while up north so we get through there relatively frequently. I don't know how much gumption the current residents have, but judging by the area in general I'd not want to "try that in a small town" like Coffeyville.

the Jungian thing...or whatever.

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Friday, October 06, 2023, 09:56 (225 days ago) @ Creeker
edited by Miles, Friday, October 06, 2023, 10:00

1 My last living Uncle lives in Coffeyville. Nice town.
2 One of yesterday's episodes of 'Tales of Wells Fargo' was about Agent Hardie and the Coffeyville shootout

I've always wonder what the deal was in the pictures of the dead that their boots had been removed and either their pant legs cut or pulled up.

--
Esse sine metu in facie inimici tui. Sit fortis et rectus quod Deus ut amo te. Veritatem dico semper etiam si eam ducit ad mortem tuam. Tuendam inops et facere no mali.

THE FIGHTING BUNCH

by Catoosa, Friday, October 06, 2023, 19:32 (225 days ago) @ JimT

Just a few miles up the road from where I grew up. My uncle Jack knew some of those fellows.

Politics sometimes gets serious in East Tennessee!

Every time I drive through there...

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, October 06, 2023, 21:13 (225 days ago) @ Paul

Been through there a couple times myself.

RSS Feed of thread