I just completed a three day revolver seminar at Gunsite

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 11:46 (878 days ago)

It is put on by Wayne Dobbs and Darryle Bolke. They have assembled a great cadre of instructors. One can't possibly make every available class. But every class I participated in was a valuable learning experience.
Greg Ellifritz and Chuck Haggard and every other instructor there are great at not only teaching a technique but also putting it in context. If you want to learn more and fine tune your DA revolver skills this is the place to be. It also happens to be the most affordable three days at Gunsite 650.00. I encourage you to meet me there next year November 19-21.
https://www.gunsite.com/classes/pat-rogers-memorial-revolver-round-up/

two of the four guns I used...
[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by JT, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 11:55 (878 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Is that a Smolt? Milt Morrison installed 4" Python barrels on both a Smith & Wesson Model 19 and a Ruger Security Six for me. Excellent little sixguns!

Yes sir it is. I had David Fink at Gunsite do this for me. I

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 18:52 (877 days ago) @ JT

just handed him a 586 and a 4" Blued Python barrel that Firman Garza sent me... The first gun I polished out for blueing, was a SMOLT. The first G&A article I read was Bill Jordan have Bill Davis Jr build him a Smolt. I had a Cuger...Bill Davis Jr orders Gunleather from me... I love the look of the Smolts...And this one shoots great!

--

The one thing I didn't see on the site...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 19:19 (877 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

is ammo requirements. Do they allow one to shoot one's own reloads, or does one need to supply "x" number of factory rounds?

Went back and looked...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 19:26 (877 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

400 rounds. Not hard if reloads are allowed, but nothing I saw states if they are or are not.

Yes reloads are allowed. One of the training tools taught

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 21:12 (877 days ago) @ Paul

is skip loading for more dry fire practice for each round fired. I was a little put off as it was first explained to us... After all who come to Gunsite to dry fire, right? Well, it turns out to be a highly effective way to shoot better. I used wadcutters loaded out about 1/10 of an inch so they work better with speed loaders.

--

Caleb Giddings Shoots for thre US Air Force Team. an SP

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 30, 2021, 21:18 (877 days ago) @ Paul

He now teaches weapons training to Airmen.

"O​ne of the big takeaways I had from the 2021 Revolver Roundup can be summed up in one word: context. For example, if you'd asked me 5 years ago about the loose cartridge reload method Chuck Haggard is hand-modeling in this photo I'd have confidently stated it was dumb, and been confidently wrong.
15 years ago, at the very beginning of my concealed carry journey, I was convinced that the absolute best way to carry was a magnum caliber revolver carried behind the hip in an OWB holster under a vest, jacket, or open front T-shirt. 9ish years ago I was convinced that the absolute best way to carry was a small, compact semi-auto like an M&P Shield or Kahr in an appendix holster. 5ish years ago I was convinced the best way to carry was a full size service caliber semi-automatic in an AIWB holster. Now I'm convinced the best way to carry is with a gun you can shoot well in a carry position that is contextually appropriate for your circumstances and mission.
Having a better grasp of context doesn't mean that I don't think some things are better than others, though. I still think small of the back carry is a bad idea across the board, and I still think that generally speaking, AIWB is the most optimal way to carry a concealed firearm. But the longer I do this, the more I appreciate how important context is, and how that context can and should influence your choices from what gear you carry, to how you carry it.
O​f course, context doesn't matter if you lack the appropriate information to create that context, but that's a post for a different time."

[image]

--

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, December 02, 2021, 07:56 (876 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Very good post Rob. :-D

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, December 04, 2021, 09:40 (874 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Now I'm convinced the best way to carry is with a gun you can shoot well in a carry position that is contextually appropriate for your circumstances and mission.

That is a mouth full. Because of my right shoulder & lack of motion I carried the Model 29 Smith behind my right hip, inside my trousers, butt forward. I used an appropriate holster for this. I simply could not draw a handgun from my right side if the butt was above my belt line & to the rear.

Being retired now & with my shoulder in much better shape, some of that has changed. But the fact remains, what is appropriate for someone else may not work for someone other. Good post Rod.

by The Alsatian, Wednesday, December 08, 2021, 16:56 (870 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I'll try to be there next year my friend.

That will be a fun time!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, January 15, 2022, 15:30 (832 days ago) @ The Alsatian

Looking forward to it.

--

RSS Feed of thread