Suppressors

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 19:22 (1056 days ago)
edited by Hobie, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 19:25

Maintaining a Dead Air Mask. Supposed to use grease. What is the best grease for a suppressor? What would be the best solvent? Is hydrogen peroxide/vinegar really the best?

I do like it. Lucky to work where I can learn the ins and outs while awaiting the stamp.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Suppressors....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, June 05, 2021, 21:36 (1056 days ago) @ Hobie

I put a touch of anti-seize on a Qtip and coat the threads, especially on something like a 5.56 suppressor, it gets hot and will burn lesser oils off the threads. As for cleaning, your idea works, have heard of a lot of home made mixtures used, does one work any better than the next??? Had a guy tell me he dropped it in a sonic cleaner over nite to clean it out.

Something I do on comps is putting a light coating of gun oil on the baffles, that will keep most of the crud from building up, or if crud is built up already, soaking the comp in oil then the first few shots blew off the crud. Mixed results with a enclosed suppressor I suspect.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Dip

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 05:47 (1055 days ago) @ Gunner

The manual mentions the hydrogen peroxide/vinegar concoction which struck me as odd and research revealed that I had reason to wonder as the mixture creates an acid that, if I am understanding it correctly, is destructive to aluminum which IS partly used in construction of this suppressor. Anti-seize grease seems logical to me.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Dip

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 09:25 (1055 days ago) @ Hobie

Crap, now that you mention it, that mixture is not good for aluminum, but if you use it to clean then a good water bath scrubbing would it be ok to use???

Also something to remember, a little crud build up helps lower the noise output i.e. clean is louder.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Suppressors

by jgt, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 06:32 (1055 days ago) @ Hobie

Anti-seize comes in copper and silver color. I have seen the copper used on exhaust manifold bolts that get hot. Would that hold true for barrel threads that get hot or would the silver work better in this application?

Suppressors

by bmize, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 11:29 (1055 days ago) @ Hobie

I use silver antiseize on the threads. I believe the silver is higher heat rated, but for a can, don't think it will make a difference. I have used Red N Tackey grease inside the tube of a 22 can spread very thin, It seemed to help a little.
The baffles, the peroxide vinegar mix is very toxic and them you have lead "acetate" I believe it is called and bad stuff, also will damage aluminum quickly.
I us a Hornady sonic cleaner a dozen cycles after I scrape the lead off. I don't get them real clean, they are just going to get dirty again soon.
My two 22 can have a lot of rounds on them with no ill effects. one has to be 1000-1500 or more.
It is on my silhouette rifle. we shoot a prone silhouette club match and I have shot 50/50 the last 7 matches.
I may clean it next year.

Suppressors

by E Sisk, Sunday, June 06, 2021, 11:55 (1055 days ago) @ bmize

If it works DON"T Fix It.:-D

RSS Feed of thread