Turned in my work keys yesterday.

by Murphy @, Thursday, August 01, 2019, 12:18 (1732 days ago)

Guy's & gal's,

After 35 years at the same job, I'm giving it up. It's been quiet the ride to say the least. I've made some great friends along the way during my career working for the public. We're a small town with a whopping population of 7,000. If you work out among them long enough, you're going to meet a lot of folks. I was given a great retirement party and will miss a lot of my former coworkers.

Where to now? I haven't a clue other than it will be in a climate controlled environment, you can bet on that. I never have been a fan of Oklahoma summers. My shop has A/C so I'm good to go there. I've been laying in supplies in my reloading room and have enough to stay busy there till I get blue in the face. My shop is also my music room.

40 plus years ago, my life centered around three things, Gal's, Guitar's, and Gun's. Due to having married the love of my life 16 years ago, I'm down to two choices of what I consider having a great time at this point. Gun's & Geetar's. Life's good!

Murphy

by J.Michael @, peoples republic of new jersey, Thursday, August 01, 2019, 16:48 (1732 days ago) @ Murphy

congrats on your retirement I hope you attack it quicker than I did I am still trying to do things I want to 6 months later. Like Creeker said 6 Saturdays in a row!

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, August 01, 2019, 17:49 (1732 days ago) @ Murphy

Congratulations. Just don't set around and do nothing. I've been retired 10 years and still have plenty of things to do and not enough time to do them.

by john purcell, Thursday, August 01, 2019, 19:06 (1731 days ago) @ Cherokee

congratulations on your retirement. on my ret, i dont miss the circus but i sure miss the clowns. john2

Don't define yourself by what your work was.

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Thursday, August 01, 2019, 18:29 (1731 days ago) @ Murphy

5 years ago, I retired from my second career and I've no plans to retire from a third.

I wasn't the only one who noticed a significant fraction of the guys I worked with in my first career end up as pictures in the obits within 2 years after retiring.
It got me to really thinking about it long before I even got close to that first retirement.

I began to ponder on the fact that they had spent 30-40 + years since their military obligation (yea, I'm dating myself) working that one thing and had mentally defined their lives by that.

It figures that when they ceased doing their work, what they were in their minds ceased, and so did their lives.

So, don't do that!

Wise words there! nt

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, August 02, 2019, 18:21 (1731 days ago) @ Miles

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

that will be difficult

by bj @, Friday, August 02, 2019, 19:26 (1730 days ago) @ Miles

I've been my job for a very long time and I'm good at it. I have other identities though so I won't be empty without the job.

Sounds like you've at least got a handle on it.

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Friday, August 02, 2019, 23:39 (1730 days ago) @ bj

Good luck.

by jgt, Friday, August 02, 2019, 06:57 (1731 days ago) @ Murphy

I have been retired many years now. Having your own space/shop is really helpful. It keeps your mind and body active. Having a place to shoot, whether yours or a range is also a big help. Congratulations on having made it to such a milestone. May you have many years to enjoy it.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Friday, August 02, 2019, 07:32 (1731 days ago) @ Murphy

Congrats ! Its going on 3 years for me And I can`t figure out where did I find the time to ever Work?[image]

Congratulations!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, August 02, 2019, 09:12 (1731 days ago) @ Murphy

Hope you enjoy it as much as we have.

by Catoosa, Friday, August 02, 2019, 09:16 (1731 days ago) @ Murphy

Congrats, Murph!

Don't let yourself rust out, now..... Get to crankin' that handle and see how much powder you can burn in the next few years.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, August 02, 2019, 13:02 (1731 days ago) @ Murphy

Never been one to shy away from work but now I don't schedule "MY" work around a job. I cannot put into words how much I enjoy being retired. Hope you find it the same way.

Congrads Murphy.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, August 02, 2019, 18:29 (1730 days ago) @ Murphy

Now it is time to kick it down a gear or two, relax and enjoy life a little more fully.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, August 04, 2019, 19:18 (1728 days ago) @ Murphy

Congratulations, Murphy! Looking forward to hearing about your upcoming projects and such.

RSS Feed of thread