assemble in reverse order......

by Otony, Saturday, June 02, 2012, 23:34 (4353 days ago)

....took apart a Ruger MKII pistol a week or so ago, to give it a good scrubbing. It has been apart enough times that it is no longer "tight". Even so, I loath disassembly on these, and my feelings were proven correct yet one more time.

After putting everything back "just so" I still could not seat the take-down lever no matter how many times I tried. Even held my tongue in different positions to no avail. Finally, after a solid hour plus of trying I put it up on a shelf before I resorted to beating on it with a hammer. Mind you, I have put these back together in the past, but always with a struggle.

So today I go by a gunsmith buddy that is here in town and bring it with me, figuring he has the mojo to make things work. He has another fellow visiting in the shop and both are listening to my sad story 'bout how d@mn difficult these d@mnable things are to reassemble.

"Just watch" I sez, and then proceed to swing the take-down lever in and lock things up perfectly on the first try. They both regard me as one would the village idiot who has performed a trick while I stand there in shock.

Makes a fellow sure feel dumb to admit he cannot do something....then go right ahead and do it, sigh.....

Otony

Been there, Ruger auto's drive me nuts, but they shoot

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 07:32 (4353 days ago) @ Otony

so well.....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 07:48 (4353 days ago) @ Otony

I always had to fumble with mine as well. I put one of the speed strip kits in it and never looked back. Mine gets shot suppressed most of the time, so it gets dirty; quick! Best money you can put into a Ruger .22!

Assmble upside down

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 10:58 (4353 days ago) @ Otony

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Assmble upside down

by Corderhorse, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 11:41 (4352 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

AMEN!

Just note that the hammer strut position when installing the mainspring, and it helps to release the sear and let the hammer fall forward when putting a little pressure on the mainspring, Once the strut is aligned.

Easy peasy.

Assmble upside down

by Otony, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 18:10 (4352 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Yeah, did that too!

LOL!

by JLF @, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 11:24 (4352 days ago) @ Otony
edited by JLF, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 11:30

Thanks for the memories! Back in the day, when I had my shop, I lost count of the Ruger 22 autos that came in in paper sacks. "My %$#@* brother-in-law took it apart!" Yup... My minimum labor charge was $12.50, so I didn't dare just snap it back together in front of them. So I would take it in the back, snap it together, and then rattle some tools around, bang something with a hammer a time or two, mess up my hair and spread a little water on my face, wait five more minutes, and then come back out with their "fixed" 22, looking like I had really earned that $12.50!:-D

Those were/are very popular little poppers, and their widespread use has kept many a gunsmith in butter n' egg money.

JLF

LOL!

by Sarge, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 19:39 (4352 days ago) @ JLF

I just bought a clean one-owner Standard model, with a spare mag, for $120 shipped because the kid had taken the mag release out and couldn't get it back together. He actually told me that the FIRST time he did this he had to pay $30 to get it put back together.

I guess like everything else, re-assembling Ruger .22's has been affected by inflation.

Funny thing.

by JLF @, Monday, June 04, 2012, 00:15 (4352 days ago) @ Sarge

There is a simple little trick during assembly that always made you feel dumb about it afterwards. With the trick, bada-bing, without the trick, a paper sack. While typing my first response, I tried to remember the trick. It's just been too long since I messed with one, and for the life of me, I can't remember, or I would post it as a good samaritan. Now I'll have to avoid the little things, to stay out of my own trap!:-)

JLF

Paper sack have a....

by Sarge, Tuesday, June 05, 2012, 09:27 (4351 days ago) @ JLF

half-pint of Old Stumpblower in it? ;)

How to clean a Ruger auto......

by Catoosa, Sunday, June 03, 2012, 19:39 (4352 days ago) @ Otony

1. Remove magazine and lock bolt back

2. hose out with Gun Scrubber

3. blow out with compressed air

4. spray with Breakfree

5. hose out again with compressed air

6. shoot for another year or so, then repeat first 5 steps.

Only took mine apart once, and swore I'd never do it again.

+1

by Byron, Monday, June 04, 2012, 06:11 (4352 days ago) @ Catoosa

:-)

My solution was very simple

by Murphy @, Monday, June 04, 2012, 07:15 (4352 days ago) @ Byron

I sold mine ASAP once it was back together...and never bought another one.

And lived happily ever after.

Murphy

by Charles, Monday, June 04, 2012, 11:46 (4351 days ago) @ Otony
edited by Charles, Monday, June 04, 2012, 11:52

These Ruger 22 autos can be a PITA until you learn a few tricks.

1. After you have put the bolt back in, hold the trigger back and press the hammer up into the full fired position. I use a little punch or some other tool to do this.

2. Make certain the hammer strut swings freely, I put a drop on the joint to make sure it is well lubed.

3. When the housing is full seated, swing the muzzle up to allow the hammer strut to engage the indent in the housing and then finish closing the housing and snap shut.

Until you learn how to do these things, you have a fight on your hands, putting those things back together.

I have a pair of race guns built on Mk II and I clean them on a regular basis, so had to get the drill down pat.

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, June 04, 2012, 15:27 (4351 days ago) @ Charles

I learned to not to the hammer strut swing thing and close the latch until the mainspring plunger pin is lined up even with the frame and then snap her closed.

Someone used to sell instructions in Shotgun news on how to reassmeble a ruger auto in a few seconds.

Bob

by Paul ⌂, Monday, June 04, 2012, 20:18 (4351 days ago) @ Otony

http://stevespages.com/pdf/ruger_mkii.pdf

It's pretty straight forward. :) But there does seem to be a knack to it. It's been years since I did it myself, once the drill is learned it goes quickly. Used to strip it down frequently, due to the high humidity in which it was used. STILL couldn't keep it from rusting so it went down the river to fund the acquisition of a stainless 38 spl. Hope to get another one, someday.

RSS Feed of thread