Mould Help

by bpjon, Friday, June 01, 2012, 14:28 (4354 days ago)

Found a light film of rust in the cavity of a Lyman mould, due solely to my own negligence in not prepping it properly for storage. Is there an effective, non-destructive method to remove the rust while not compromising the mould?

Mould Help

by john k., Friday, June 01, 2012, 14:53 (4354 days ago) @ bpjon

Depending on the definition of "light", you might a little wd40 or kroil and a plastic toothbrush.

The rest will disappear when you run some lead through it.

Well oiled 0000 steel wool

by cubrock, Friday, June 01, 2012, 15:57 (4354 days ago) @ bpjon

Same has happened to me and rubbing with oiled 0000 steel wool has taken care of it.

Well oiled 0000 steel wool

by uncowboy, Friday, June 01, 2012, 16:38 (4354 days ago) @ cubrock

I usewd 40 and plastic scrub brush. When dry you can also use a pencil eraser. If it didn't bite the metal the eraser works well. Either way light rust wont affect accuracy just makes the bullet ugly. I shoot ugly bullets all the time. I also shoot frosty bullets . They all hit well. :-P J.Michael

I'd get that baby hot

by Bud, Friday, June 01, 2012, 17:10 (4354 days ago) @ uncowboy

and run some bullets through it until the rust is gone. Do folks that live in humid areas leave the last CB in the mould to keep it from rusting ??? I live in a dry climate.

Never have.

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Friday, June 01, 2012, 20:32 (4354 days ago) @ Bud

I've never understood the reasoning. If you leave the last bullet in the mould, then you have a mould with all the protective oil cooked out of it. And dry, bare iron will start rusting almost immediately, if not sooner.

And if someone is going to tell me that the outside is supposed to be oiled, I would tell them to get the bullet out of there and complete the job.

Jimmy P.

Never have.

by Bud, Saturday, June 02, 2012, 08:44 (4353 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

I can and do leave the last CB in the mould, but then I live in a dry climate. I was wondering what you folks who live in humid climate do about your moulds. Do you have to oil them after each use ?? That means you have to clean 'em before using them again.

Never have.

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Saturday, June 02, 2012, 10:15 (4353 days ago) @ Bud

I've always oiled mine after use and have not had any problems. Yes, it means degreasing them before the next use, but never felt put out by it. A quick shot of some manner of degreaser (gun-scrubber, brake cleaner, etc.) and usually by the time it's at operating temperature the oil is burned out. Not to say it's the only way, just the way I do it.

For me, oiling something I don't want to rust is sort of like keeping any holes covered that you don't want a dirt-dobber nest built in, it's just something you do.

Jimmy P.

RSS Feed of thread