Heeding the advice of those who came before me.

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Monday, May 28, 2012, 09:31 (4357 days ago)

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who responded to my Freedom Arms thread. I went ahead and ordered a set of 454 dies for the new pistol, this way I can set up a new Dillon toolhead just for 454. I think this is one pistol I will really experiment with jacketed bullets, there appear to be some really good ones on the market these days. Even though I did own a Ruger 454, I learned something today about the performance of the 454, I was unaware that it still carried the same velocity at 200 yards with a 335gr bullet that my 45 Colt from my Bisley has at the muzzle. If you guys think I am hooked on the 45 caliber, you would be correct! 45-70 to 45 ACP.

To all of my fellow Brothers in Arms, both past and present, thank you. To all who have fallen so that I may still enjoy FREEDOM, THANK YOU!

Dave Beeman

by Dennis, Monday, May 28, 2012, 09:51 (4357 days ago) @ Dave B

Sounds great Dave, I do shoot several cast in my .454 I have a couple molds in 315 and 325 gas checked that work well for me. I'm not sure if I still have your mailing addy or not so PM me and I'll send ya a couple hunnert of each to try out once your up and running. I ain't got 'em cast up yet but will be sitting down for a marathon session some time soon. I mean it get my your Addy. Dennis

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Monday, May 28, 2012, 10:17 (4357 days ago) @ Dennis

Thank you very much Dennis, you make an accurate bullet!

Dave

Addy

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Monday, May 28, 2012, 10:43 (4356 days ago) @ Dennis

Dennis,
I sent you a PM over on the evil social network.

Dave

Addy

by Dennis, Monday, May 28, 2012, 11:42 (4356 days ago) @ Dave B

lol yeah, I got it. And am saddened to say I do not have a rifle in 45/70 altho i have played with a couple and always lusted after one, it is one I have yet to own. When i do youwill be among the first to learn of it tho. Dennis

Addy

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:49 (4356 days ago) @ Dennis

Please do that. Do you dabble in the black powder realm? I have a 50 cal Maxi Ball mould that I don't use.

Dave

454C tidbits.

by John K., Monday, May 28, 2012, 18:41 (4356 days ago) @ Dave B

I bought my first FA 83 23yrs ago, a used 7.5" that was ported by the original owner. Added a used unported 6", and then a 4" octagon with fixed sights & round butt. Never documented my round count like Terry, but since I use CCI SR Mag primers almost exclusively in my 454s... and buy them in 5K cases... perhaps 20,000 rounds? Yes, the 7.5" needs a new barrel and the 6" is right behind. I've only had the 4" for a little over a year and have only shot about 1,000rds through it.

First, I must say when you light 38grs of H110 it is really, really loud - ported or not. So, I wouldn't turn down an excellent deal because someone else had added ports. No, my biggest aggravation with the ports concerns the gunk they leave on the sides of the front sight when shooting cast.

Loading the 454C is a bit different, especially if you are after top end loads. I use a RCBS size die and a modified Dillon powder funnel. The cartridge is an excellent bullet puller. Reduce the diameter of your expansion plug to .4505" or so. This gives a lot more bullet tension to counteract the recoil. Roll crimp with a Redding Profile Crimp die or a Lee FCD. A lot of cast shooters hate the FCD as it tends to reduce the diameter of the bullet IF it is oversize for the cartridge and somewhat soft. Neither applies to bullets sized and hardened to fit a FA 454. Pressures can exceed 60Kpsi.

Pay attention to OAL. The FA cylinder is 1.800" and the throats are unforgiving. I have cast moulds ranging from 250grs to 390grs with the crimp groove in the proper place, thanks to Mountain Molds. The 7.5" shoots the 390gr @ 1400fps nicely, even though the twist says it shouldn't. Generally, I shoot a 360gr @ 1550fps in the 6". This roughly duplicates the Cor-Bon Penetrator load. Whacked myself in the head with that one, rather famously, at a Texas CSA. Right now, I have about settled on a 335gr cast for the little 4" octagon but I haven't decided on an exact load yet.

You will want the cast bullets hard at top end pressures. Can you say "forcing cone damage"? Same applies to some jacketed bullets; the Hornady 250gr XTP is a wonderful deer killer @ 1600fps - but go no faster, as the bullet is "soft" and can crack the forcing cone. The MAG version is stouter. Not to say you can't shoot the softer cast or jacketed, just be mindful of the applied pressure.

Beware Lil Gun. Don't use it for top end loads in the 454C, and your throat won't look like a sewer pipe sooner than you would believe.

Check your loads as you set up your dies. Pull the cylinder out and use it as a go gage on your ammo.

Keep an eye on your brass. I use Starline, and keep it trimmed - this helps maintain a consistant crimp. Still, after about 5-6 loadings it seems to go downhill and lose neck tension, and must be annealed.

If you have a chrono, check your velocity. If it is much lower than the book says, you likely don't have enough neck tension to burn the powder properly before the bullet starts moving and increases the 'boiler room'.

Finally - if you notice narrow flat lines running the length of the cylinder exactly above the chambers, back off a grain. :-D

[image]

Ruger 44sp & 4" M83

Copy this and save it... John K it is great ot see you post

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, May 28, 2012, 19:55 (4356 days ago) @ John K.

hang tough, hope to see you next month.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Monday, May 28, 2012, 21:20 (4356 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Your advice has been taken and executed, I will have both a digital and hard copy, I imagine the hard copy will see more use. I look forward to seeing you next month Rob.

Dave

by John K., Howdy, Rob! Can't make the Holiday., Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 07:49 (4356 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Company is closing the local factory and I'm in the middle of relocating all equipment to New Jersey.

"The Condom Capital of the World" has gone from producing about 85% of the world's condoms to 0% in less than 20yrs. About like everything else, it has moved to Asia. :-(

Asia, they need em more than we do, I sapose

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 12:48 (4355 days ago) @ John K.

I had heard rumor of this sorry to find out it is fact...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

454C tidbits.

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Monday, May 28, 2012, 21:18 (4356 days ago) @ John K.

All I can say is wow! I loaded for the 454 in the Ruger for about 5 years, there are a few things I wish I had known ahead of time. I stopped using Lil Gun in the 454, it was the only powder that would send debris flying back into my face. I used H110 for the top end stuff, HS6 and Unique for the plinking loads. I cast a Mountain Moulds 325gr WFNGC that I am planning on being my mainstay. I would like to try some of my 45-270SAA bullets that weigh 289grs for the plinking loads. I have plans for some 300gr jacketed, thinking the Speer plated bullet, I had really good success with it in the Ruger with loads right at 1600fps, I never found anything living that would stop that bullet, even dirt had a tough time. John, I am very grateful to you for taking the time to type all of this out, I did in fact copy it, and will save a copy on the computer and print a backup for my load book.

V/r
Dave Beeman

454C tidbits.

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Monday, May 28, 2012, 23:13 (4356 days ago) @ John K.

John,
One question, do you size your bullets to .452 or .451? Just wondering due to the tight tolerances.

Dave

454C tidbits.

by John K., Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 08:01 (4356 days ago) @ Dave B

Dave,

I use .452". Sometimes I use .453" for a few bullet styles, as that is the diameter I use in my Rugers. This works ok with those bullets as the front driving band is not very long. There's another tidbit - a wide-shouldered slug like an LBT WFN will likely not fit the throats unless sized to .451". Depending on alloy and springback, perhaps .452" will work.

One one LBT I seated a GC, sized the entire bullet to .452", swapped the size die to .451" and set the stop on my Saeco sizer to just size the nose. Decided it wasn't worth all that trouble...

I always spec'd a .100" front driving band on my Mountain Molds bullets to eliminate this foolishness.

454C tidbits.

by Dennis, Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 09:23 (4356 days ago) @ John K.

Great post, Thanks John. Dennis

454C tidbits.

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 09:42 (4356 days ago) @ John K.

Thank you again John, I really appreciate it.

Dave

RSS Feed of thread