Buck 110 and Gerber Folding Hunter

by AkRay, Sunday, May 27, 2012, 00:14 (4358 days ago)

I found these at a garage/estate sale today. My first look didn't turn up anything really interesting. I then asked the people there if they had any guns or knives for sale and they said the guns were already claimed by the other brother, and they thought the knives were gone too. I looked around in the house for a little bit and when I came out one of the men there told me that he had looked around some more and found these two. I wasn't familiar with the Gerber Folding Hunter, but I did some searches and found out what it was.

[image][image][image]

by Otony, Sunday, May 27, 2012, 06:07 (4358 days ago) @ AkRay

That folding Gerber was my dream knife when i was a kid in high school, late '60s to early '70s. There was also an identical version with the handle/scales made from a brownish nylon or plastic.

Man, did I lust over those! Let me know if you want to sell it, they bring a pretty penny nowadays.....

Otony

by Alfred John, Sunday, May 27, 2012, 07:33 (4358 days ago) @ Otony

The Buck 110 may be a collectable. The early ones were a lot slimmer than the later ones. They carry a life time repair or replace warranty. A few people I know had to return their 110's for service and would receive a new 110 to replace them. Seems evryone is looking for the older slimmer models these days. Don't know when the change was made but I think it was to make them stronger. Just saying. Enjoy the two knives.

You got the original sheaths too

by Miles, Sunday, May 27, 2012, 10:16 (4358 days ago) @ AkRay

which is sort of rare with older knives

Good find!

You got the original sheaths too

by jgt, Sunday, May 27, 2012, 10:53 (4358 days ago) @ Miles

The Buck was a safety award for reaching a milestone number of days without an accident on the job. I have one such knife I purchased with my acrewed safety points in the mid eighties. The sheath on mine corroded the knife's brass so badly, I tossed it in favor of pocket carry. The knife is one of my favorites. It takes an edge so keen that it slices through a deer throat like it was thin air.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but

by Catoosa, Sunday, May 27, 2012, 18:06 (4358 days ago) @ jgt

is a Case Mako worth much? I think I have three of them that were service awards back when I was working for the state. Carried the first one extensively and found it a good, strong, useful knife, but never took the other two out of the boxes.

Didn't figure gimmie knives would be worth much, but I rarely see Makos around.

I got three of these also Gordon for service awards...

by pokynojoe, Monday, May 28, 2012, 09:34 (4357 days ago) @ Catoosa

Sold them all for thirty bucks a piece last year, the guy was too eager, which leads me to believe they were probably worth more, if that's any help. I never used any of them, didn't really like them all that much, as I prefer a trapper type pocket knife. By the way, I'll get one more service award next year, hopefully it will be my last.;-)

I have three as well. Last price I saw was $60

by stonewalrus, Monday, May 28, 2012, 20:37 (4356 days ago) @ pokynojoe

To me they are too heavy for their size. I'm not much into folders that have to be in a sheath.

Alaskan Railroad Safety Award.

by cas, Sunday, May 27, 2012, 20:55 (4357 days ago) @ jgt

In '93 I bought a Buck 110 engraved "Alaskan Railroad Safety Award" in a pawn shop in Anchorage for about $10. Thought it a neat souvenir and gave it to my best friend who was going to school at UAA at the time.

He left it in the pouch on his bicycle and someone stole it. I should have kept it for myself.

Buck 110 Ray, yiou are now armed for bear... If your Gen Moe

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:57 (4357 days ago) @ AkRay

that is:-D So, when you going to hunt Strawberry Island? Nice finds there Ray!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread