6" Model 83 it is!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, May 25, 2012, 16:52 (4359 days ago)

Called the factory today and placed an order for a 6" Adjustable Sight Premier Grade in 454 Casull. I looked at Gunbroker, and several other sites, in the end, I thought for a once in a lifetime purchase, I would want one that has never belonged to someone else. I will have shells loaded and ready for when it arrives. To say I am excited would be an understatement, it is the fulfillment of a dream that is almost 20 years old.

Dave

6" Model 83 it is!

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Friday, May 25, 2012, 17:09 (4359 days ago) @ Dave B

That sounds great! get a nice peace of leather from Rob . Killed my first mule deer with a 6 inch 454 casull , used a LBT WFNGC. 325. grain lbt LUBE, AND H110 ,Rem rifle primer. it sure did the job. enjoy your new toy.:-D

6" Model 83 it is!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, May 25, 2012, 18:33 (4359 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Thank you sir! I look forward to becoming acquainted with the new 5 gun.

Sounds great!

by Bj2, Friday, May 25, 2012, 17:43 (4359 days ago) @ Dave B

I generally like short barrel six guns but for that size gun and caliber I think 6" is a good compromise.

Did you order mic arts grips?

Did you consider a different front sight blade?

These are good options to get when ordering it just for you.

Sounds great!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, May 25, 2012, 18:35 (4359 days ago) @ Bj2

I did not, I really like the wood grips, and I did not go for a different front sight. The front sight and an additional 45 Colt cylinder could be future additions.

best to get the cylinder at the same time?

by bj @, Friday, May 25, 2012, 19:56 (4359 days ago) @ Dave B

I think the cylinder has to be fit to the gun. Of course you could get a .45ACP cylinder also.

The front sight blades are easy to change. Once you get the gun and try it with the loads that you want to use you might find that you need a taller or shorter sight blade anyway. The standard ramped sight blade looks good but I would think a patridge blade would give a better sight picture, and for short range big game use some people like a sight with a gold bead or ivory bead.

best to get the cylinder at the same time?

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, May 25, 2012, 20:40 (4359 days ago) @ bj

The extra cylinder was just a bit too much extra, had to stretch a bit as it was, no big deal, just didn't want to push my luck with my wonderful wife, she has always been good to me in regards to guns, don't want to spoil it. I have 3 or 4 45 Colts between Ruger and S&W any how, so not like I'll be 45 Colt poor. Plus, I have the option of more midrange loads with the 454 as well. I really appreciate the enthusiasm and support, makes me feel less guilty for spending so much. I know it is worth every penny, but I am a bit of a scrooge most of the time, heck I try to recover as many bullets from the dirt where I shoot so I can cast them again.

Dave

6" Model 83 it is!

by AkRay, Friday, May 25, 2012, 20:08 (4359 days ago) @ Dave B

Sounds like a great decision to me, Dave! Will the gun be ready in time for next hunting season? Congratulations on a great new pistol!

6" Model 83 it is!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, May 25, 2012, 20:44 (4359 days ago) @ AkRay

Ray, I should have it within 2 weeks, if I would have wanted the 7 1/2" it would be a 5 month wait or there abouts. I am going to assemble some reloads over this long weekend, and of course try and cast up some 325gr WFNGC bullets. I have feeling I'm going to have to buy some lead off ebay before long, the 130#s I have on hand won't last at this rate between the 454, 45, 44, and 45/70.

Dave

6" Model 83 it is!

by Mark, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 07:43 (4358 days ago) @ Dave B

Did they say why the long wait for a 7.5 inch gun? That sounds odd to me. I shot my first buck with my M83 7.5 inch, 454. 340 grain lead bullet (the bullet was from Dennis Madriaga - does anyone remember HHI812? iirc) and a heavy dose of H110. Yes, that was a lot for whitetail.
I never had the desire for additional cylinders. When I want less recoil, I use a lesser load in 454 brass.
Enjoy the gun!
Mark

6" Model 83 it is!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 23:33 (4358 days ago) @ Mark

He said gun sales are way up, the potential re-election of Obama is driving the sales through the roof. I really like the idea of just shooting the reduced loads, in the Ruger I shot a lot of 45 Colt, just as easy to load the 454 brass.

Very Cool! So, I supose you don't want me to ask Bob Baker

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 09:29 (4358 days ago) @ Dave B

to bring it Raton so we can wring it out for you? I have some Tony Boggus cast 350s I am bringing to out meeting in Albuq. It's about time I gave YOU some bullets. I have let 2 different 83s slip through my feckless fingers...both have gone to great men that I am proud to call my friends... but, DANG, I am a slow learner.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 23:30 (4358 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob,
I don't think I can wait that long! I am hoping to have it by next weekend. I can't believe how excited I am over this shooter! I am going through my load notes, and plan on loading some shells on Monday. I think this time around I am going to invest in some 454 Dies, I hear they are tighter tolerances than the 45 Colt Dies, which is what I used in the past. I am really looking forward to Albuquerque Rob.

by AkRay, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 23:40 (4358 days ago) @ Dave B

Dave, my advice would be to not load too many rounds until you have the gun in hand. Load 5 rounds and try them in the revolver before you proceed. If something isn't adjusted quite right you can make changes and try again. The Freedom Arms revolvers are made to such tight specifications that you can load ammo that's just about perfect, but won't seat fully in the cylinder. There's very little wiggle room. Trust me, I've been there.

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, May 27, 2012, 00:10 (4358 days ago) @ AkRay

That is what I have been reading. My biggest concern is the sizing of the brass, as I know FA cuts their chambers on the minimum side. I may just load up one round to set up the Dillon, then make sure it chambers in all 5 chambers, then load. Thanks Ray.

Dave

RSS Feed of thread