P mags ultra relaible, durable, affordable 75th Rangers and

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 25, 2012, 15:24 (4360 days ago)

Other elites units ISSUE them Now the Army bans them???? Anything to make it harder for the troops... SOMEBODY in the chain of command is making aluminum mags...

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2012/05/25/in-reversal-army-bans-high-performance-ri...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

The corruption of Empire, part One.....

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Friday, May 25, 2012, 17:52 (4359 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

the fungoid growth of bigguh and bettuh and all-owning never ceases in history. We've been privileged to live in one of those brief eras where it was pushed aside for a while.

Is it Byzantium yet? Well, mebbe just over the hill to the first political Caliphate.

Seems like the brass was screwing with the boys....

by Sarge, Friday, May 25, 2012, 22:34 (4359 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

over body armor a couple of years ago and IIRC, folks raising hell with their electards had a positive effect on that. I don't know squat about PMags but if they're the best equipment, then the troops should have them! It ain't like they are the most expensive piece of support gear that was ever foisted off on the taxpayer.

What happens, and what is going on

by Miles, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 10:06 (4359 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

During the times of the main battles and the surge in Iraq and Afghanistan, the money spigot was wide open, and a unit commander, alerted for deployment, could melt his impact credit card getting just about anything he wanted for his troops.

I saw commanders ordering LOTS of goodies not just Pmags.

Now, PMAGS are a very good item, but Uncle put lots of time and effort and sent lots of bucks to Brownells to have them develop the 'improved magazine'.

It's pretty good magazine too and I'd say it's the equal of the Pmag, although metal not plastic. And metal bodied mags Do have advantages over plasic bodied mags.

2 things at work here

The budget is getting squeezed, and TPTB are telling the commanders that the credit card bills are going to be scruntinized very carefully.
Ordering via standard and warehouse stocked NSN is looked at a lot less.

And, I'd bet Brownells and Center (the current manufacturers) have made absolutely clear, they want those max quantities on the contract ordered.

I sent four of those Brownell's mags...

by Sarge, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 11:14 (4359 days ago) @ Miles

with Mark on his first tour in 2003 (?). He's on his third tour (Asscrackistan) now and still using them w/o complaint. I'd say they are good mags.

Those are Brownells 'first model'

by Miles, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 12:26 (4359 days ago) @ Sarge

I bought a few myself, before '05 and found them perfectly satisfactory.

The new version that Brownell developed for our Uncle has a heavier spring and a new style, no-tilt, tan follower.

These, Brownells will not put on the open market. But, that's no real problem.

Who is John Galt

by Byron, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 17:25 (4358 days ago) @ Miles

What happens, and what is going on

by Gary G, Monday, May 28, 2012, 00:30 (4357 days ago) @ Miles

New Sheriff in town,,,His name is Zero

I'm sure not in love with P-mags.

by cas, Saturday, May 26, 2012, 13:03 (4359 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I've used them some without issues, but I've seen just as many issues with them as metal mags.

Plenty of jams and follower hang ups. I got to watch a really cool display when a guy had one spontaneously empty itself in a fashion I'd only seen Orlites do up till then. (but the P-mag didn't need to break to do it like the Orlites.

The most common buggaboo I've seen with them is due to pilot error, but it's allowed by the design. That's that they will take 31 rounds just fine… until you stick it in a rifle and try and make it work. ;)

RSS Feed of thread