Warning: Vent ahead....

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 10:06 (4367 days ago)

Was bidding on a vintage scope over on Gun Broker. 4 days to go and I am still in the lead (actually the only bid). For some odd reason, I opened the auction this morning to find that the seller has posted that he sold the scope in his store! No way of knowing dates but the edit was dated one full week after my bid.

I sent him a note expressing my disappointment and pointing out the timing. He responded that "these things happen".

I get it and I know that, other than feedback, I have no real recourse but ARRRGGHHH!!!

OK, vent off. Thanks for the ear.

Warning: Vent ahead....

by Drago, Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 11:30 (4367 days ago) @ Hoot

I had a similar situation on an Ebay auction a few years ago. There was a fishing shop in Australia that listed some Swedish fly reels for auction. I was winning until five minutes before the end, the shop closed the auction. In checking their other auctions, they did the same thing, closed a few minutes before the end. I asked them why they'd closed it. Their response was that my bid (and those by others), was far below what the sold those reels for in their shop. I pointed out that Ebaers were looking for bargains, and I suggested that they put resrves in if they were concerned with losing money, They replied that they felt reserves were intimidating bidders. I don't think they ever did sell anything, and I noticed a few weeks later that the no longer had an account on Ebay.
In your case, Hoot, the usual "unwritten" rule is that if there's a bid in place, then the item shouldn't be sold locally.

Rule Violation

by JLF @, Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 12:31 (4367 days ago) @ Hoot

Gunbroker allows the seller to pull an auction, as-long-as-it-has-no-bids! Nobody, including me, has enough inventory to dedicate one pile to auctions, and the other to "walk ins". But a bid seals the deal, and is a legitimate intent to buy, which is why Gunbroker has the rule. You might consider reminding the seller of this policy, or you can just drop his butt in the grease by complaining to Gunbroker.

JLF

I'd drop his butt in the grease! These guys...

by Boge Quinn, Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 13:20 (4367 days ago) @ JLF

...know better than that, but too many gun shop owners are just a-holes who run their own little fiefdom.

dittos...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 13:41 (4367 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

File a complaint against him!

by anachronism, Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 18:24 (4367 days ago) @ Hoot

He is in clear violation of the auction rules. Do not let him get away with this.

RSS Feed of thread