"soft" practice

by stonewalrus, Thursday, May 17, 2012, 18:42 (4373 days ago)

I realize it isn't the ideal, but in the dry spells in between shooting I decided to buy a airsoft copy of my Taurus Mil Pro. I figure it is in the neighborhood of dry firing but I sort of cringe at that with a real gun in the house. I am assuming it will fit in my regular MP holster and give me drawing practice at least. Picked up a Thunder Ranch video the other day and some of the oddball shooting positions they would never let you do at a real range. Yes, I know some here will tell me to invest in the full blown class but I have to keep food on the table and take care of my little one so I figure this is better than no practice at all. I'm thinking I'll start the little one out with airsoft before graduating to live fire too.

"soft" practice

by Byron, Thursday, May 17, 2012, 20:45 (4373 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Way to go....

The ideal scene for force on force training is to get a friend with a good quality airsoft pistol and have at it.....wear face protection....and a tee shirt....

Two things will become quickly clear. If you do a Matt Dillon fast draw at each other....stand and deliver....you will both be shot within a fraction of second of each other....almost every time....not good....number one rule of a gunfight is not to be shot....

If you jerk the gun and start blazing away as fast as you can while running away as fast as you can....you can often dodge the return fire....

You will find that the mind centers on the others gun and your fire will follow...you will get shot in the hands a lot...and a hit on the cuticle of the little finger REALLY hurts....after a bit of this fun you will look like you have chicken pox....

A sure test of action gun handling is to have at it with a group of teenagers who airsoft every weekend....

Have fun...

Byron

We used to go into a Dojo and do force on force with

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, May 17, 2012, 21:04 (4373 days ago) @ Byron

wooden guns and knives... Great practice. Drawing a gun and responding to getting you a** kicked is very enlightening... Add the airsoft dimension seems like a step in the right direction. I know of some GIs that trained their guys with airsoft before they deployed. No shame in that.As for the videos; good deal.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

when we wuz kids...

by Otony, Thursday, May 17, 2012, 21:28 (4373 days ago) @ Byron

....back before seatbelts (remember mom throwing her arm across your chest in panic stops while driving?) we used to engage in BB gun fights.

Dumb as we were back then, the thought of wearing eye protection never really occurred to us. We simply agreed to not shoot above the chest. Luckily for us, we never had any unfortunate accidents in the "heat of battle".

However, to add to what Byron mentioned above, I was always a bit surprised by how many times I shot my friend's guns, either by deliberate aim or when snap shooting. Since some of those guns had plastic stocks it used to produce a most satisfying "whack"!

Otony

when we wuz kids... we did that too

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, May 17, 2012, 23:05 (4373 days ago) @ Otony

used to also use arrows with the add on pencil erasers for tips... those hurt! Hell they'd probably through kids in jail if the got into a dirt clod fight...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

"soft" practice

by Alfred John, Sunday, May 20, 2012, 09:14 (4370 days ago) @ Byron

Just a bit different take on the airsoft guns. We had a guy who used to live in my subdivision and primarily worked Flea Markets. He got a bunch of assorted Air Soft guns which looked very real except for the orange tips. He started selling them to the young kids in the subdivision and they had some good fun with them. I would watch them moving ambushing and so on. One thing I noticed was a number of the kids were actually practicing good marksmanship during their play. A number of other kids were playing like you see in some action movies, all could really miss and while Mel Gibson and others looked cool these kids couldn't really hit much. The first group were quite good. Anyway it kept increasing in activity from day to day, mainly after school and on weekends. Some one eventually called the Sheriff's office and a couple of deputies showed up. They seemed to talk with kids for some time, then required they dump their ammo on the street and put the airssoft guns away. Which the kids did. The guy selling them made some good money on the sale of the air shoft guns and selling a lot of ammo. This all pretty much ended the neighborhood daily wars. Just something I thought I would mention. These might be a viable way to start young shooters, under supervision proper handling tactics. Just Saying. The Jerk did move out a bit later BTW. ATB

I figure I will start out my 5 year old with one

by stonewalrus, Sunday, May 20, 2012, 09:56 (4370 days ago) @ Alfred John

At 15 ft or so they are fairly accurate.

When certain

by Miles, Friday, May 18, 2012, 16:25 (4372 days ago) @ stonewalrus

unnameable units use paintball ammo (Simmunitions) for 'force on force' practice, playing with airsoft shouldn't be looked down on.

amen

by mcassill, Friday, May 18, 2012, 22:30 (4372 days ago) @ Miles

RSS Feed of thread