The call of the dark side

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 07:35 (4374 days ago)

Don't know if it's all the recent "I'm getting an EBR" posts or if it's merely the insanity of impending middle age creeping up on me, but either way thoughts of a bottom feeding implement of leaden projectile dispensing have invaded my thoughts. Most folks seem to be looking at these instruments as "short barreled, kick down the door and lay out some suppressing fire" implements. Me? Yeah, I look at them different, more along the lines of a "10-22 on steroids".

The 5.56/223 Remington has never been known as a powerhouse round (yes, Byron, I know they kill deer fine) and it would benefit more from higher velocity than lower. So the idea that's has been percolating in my mind is the idea of an AR based RIFLE (not carbine) more along the lines of a reach out and touch something than an in your face blast 'em tool.

Perusing various sites lead me to Model 1 Sales. They've got a variety of "kits" that only lack a stripped lower receiver, and at what appear to be fairly reasonable prices. The one that has drawn my attention is the one linked here . A 24" barrel to milk all the FPS out of the round possible, 8" rate of twist to allow use of heavier projectiles, change their buttstock to an adjustable one so that persons of more humble stature might also use the implement, add a decent scope and (of course) a lower receiver and it would appear that one would then have on hand an implement capable of long range shooting (within the capabilities of the round, it is no 50 BMG nor even 338 Lapua).

So, to those who've managed to make it thus far through my rambling piece of tying, is anyone offering a similar rifle in a full build instead of kit? How would you rate the Model 1 kits? What would you change in the setup linked above?

This is mostly at this point a mental exercise. Methought that this fall there would be a bit of $ in the fund for such an investment, but the bike needed an overhaul and there went the funds. Still, I'm intrigued by the idea. Any feedback on it would be appreciated.

Ask and you shall receive...........

by Byron, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 08:30 (4374 days ago) @ Paul

[image]

JP precision rifle....

There is no benifit from a 24" barrel....most say optimum for 5.56 is 16", all things considered....max practical velocity will be at the 20"...24" on an AR would just be to unhandy....

If one is not comfortable with the power of the 5.56mm round then they should get something bigger....

7.62mm comes to mind....

[image]

Byron

Accurate carbine:

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 08:47 (4374 days ago) @ Byron

One inch bull barrel DPS upper a varmint /target barrel with 5.56 chamber. Accurate and reliable. Seen here with a Slide fire stock, this now has a standard lower- it did well in full auto, but not what I intended for this AR.
[image]

Or as Byron suggests, more power:[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I have a 24" bull barrel 1/8 upper for my AR. It is hanging

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 09:46 (4374 days ago) @ Paul

on a peg in my safe now because it was so heavy. Shot great but heavy to tote around. I have found my 16" barrels will shoot just about as well, considering who is doing the shooting. I also have the 7.62x51 if I need to reach far out.

AR 16" bull barrel:
[image]

M1A, standard:
[image]

I think 20" is still perfectly OK

by bj @, Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 12:55 (4374 days ago) @ Paul

It is short enough to be easy to handle, it gives more velocity than 16", and more weight and stability for accuracy. But ultimately I suppose it depends on what you want to do with it. A 16" rifle is light, and especially with a telescoping stock can be pretty short for storage and carry. Even with the stock extended they are still short. A 20" barrel, especially a heavy 20" barrel, is short enough for easy carry but significantly heavier. If you are shooting more than carrying then nothing wrong with the longer/heavier barrel. If you want to use it for home defense then you don't need a long or heavy barrel. The short barrel guns can certainly be accurate enough. If you are using it for varmint hunting then you could probably get by with the longer barrel. Of course the beauty of the AR platform is that you can have as many uppers as you want and switch them back and forth very easily.

Model 1 sales used to be a reasonable place to buy parts and such, when there were lots of people with names you never heard of selling parts. Depending on demand for factory rifles you could save a little bit of money by buying the kit and assembling it yourself, or you could save a lot of money. At one point in time I figures that the kit approach would only save you $100 and you had to do the assembly and forgo a warranty, but I think today you could save a little more money than that.

I've had two Model 1 uppers and sold them both fairly quicky

by cas, Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 01:36 (4373 days ago) @ Paul

Barrels are ER Shaw from what I recall, that's not a bad thing, but the little things were awful. Extra cheap hand guards, thinnest most flexible charging handle I've ever seen. A gas block that looked like…. hmmm… how do I describe it? I know. Have you ever taken a block of mozzarella cheese and torn a hunk off of it? You know that odd pattern/texture the torn halves have? That's exactly what the bottom have of the gas block looked like. I guess that makes it kinda cheesy.
[image]

I've also heard tell (on the intrawebz) of their bolts breaking. True or not I couldn't say.

RSS Feed of thread