Mozilla Version 12.0

by Rich in ND, Friday, May 04, 2012, 14:34 (4378 days ago)

I know this isn't a gun question, however the folks here have helped me before on this kind of question.

I got a pop-up saying my Firefox Version 3.6.28 is out of date and I need to update. If I ignore this THEY will automatically update for me.

I clicked on the link and I saw a disturbing notice saying it could mess with my Norton Anti-virus software.

Do I need to be afraid of this???

How can they AUTOMATICALLY update the new version without my permission?

I come from the old school "if it ain't broke", well you know the rest.

Thanks for any info on this.

Having used both,. I TRUST Mozilla, Norton is like a virus

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, May 04, 2012, 18:36 (4377 days ago) @ Rich in ND

itself.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Old browsers

by Paul ⌂, Friday, May 04, 2012, 22:53 (4377 days ago) @ Rich in ND

Rich, the problem with older browsers is that the hackers have figured out all their holes. Using them is not secure. This is not a BIG deal if all you do is casual surfing, but if you ever do anything with a password, then you need to think about modernizing. Mozilla has been good about keeping ahead of the game on security and I use them the most. Firefox for browsing and Thunderbird for email. You could always try Google Chrome or Opera or Safari, but any of them will be much more secure than your older version of Firefox. That is the pain of the modern age - sometimes it's broke and we don't realize it yet. Yes, the updates move much faster than I care for also.

RSS Feed of thread