Off topic....still.....manly enought.....

by Byron, Sunday, April 29, 2012, 13:10 (4386 days ago)

Question for those on the board that shave...daily...just how do you get it done and more spacifically...does anyone use a cut-throat straight razor....

I started out with a hand me down electric Remingon electric razor from my father...never was really happy with it but it did get the job done...

Later switched to the latest and greatest cartridge multi-blade gizmos and shaved in the shower....just how fast can I get this chore done....been doing so for over 30 years.....

Now, the new normal has changed my focus....I don't work near as many hours as I use to...3 day weekend every week to be with my family....but when I work it is flat out....on my feet from 0500...eat lunch standing up...and don't really take a break until supper.....

I started wet shaving with a old style German double edge safety razor and high quality English soap lathered with a badger brush about 6 months ago....and have really enjoyed the forced break in pace....kinda like flying....pretty easy to do but intolerent of mistakes....you really have to pay attention and take your time or lots of blood is easy to come by....its kinda become another hobby...my wife calls it "faceterbating"....

The natural progression of this hobby is moving to the next level of zen shaving with a straight....and all that which comes with preparing and maintaining a straight razor edge....

Check out the damascus straights at the bottom of this page....crazy....
http://thesuperiorshave.com/Boker_Straight_Razors.html

So....anyone shave with a straight....

Byron

by anachronism, Sunday, April 29, 2012, 13:17 (4386 days ago) @ Byron

I don't yet, but it is on the list of things to do when my life quiets down a bit. I suppose it would be wise to buy the necessary implements now, while my income is high enough to buy toys. I'm still a "triple-blade in the shower with bar soap" kind of guy at this point.

by Alfred John, Sunday, April 29, 2012, 14:32 (4386 days ago) @ Byron

I have used a Straight and it was enjoyable. I found you have to take your time and prep your face properly. Of course a quality razor is a must, good stone for shapening, and a strop. As far as shaving soap, your choice. I found you get a great shave if you lubricate your skin before starting. The old timers would soak the whiskers,remember the hot steamy towels,but a lot of men used to use some sort of grease or lotion under the lather to aid the razor. Once the face is prepped, you should try to go against the grain of the whiskers, and then with the grain in some cases, you have to find what works. A really good shave was done by shaving twice at the event. Once over lightly,lather up and go back over. It seems to work better than trying to elimiate whiskers on one pass. A proper shave should be an enjoyable experience and not rushed. Why do you think so many men always had a good barber give them a shave, they could relax and take it easy. Anyway when done, rinse your skin, then wash it again with "witchhazel" this will clean and remove any soap or lotion left. Pat dry, a bit of shaving powder, especially in hot weather, you are done. Gosh I am wordy. Think about it, most working men only shaved every other day. A good close shave will last overnight and a fresh shave in the morning isn't always necessary. Of course some people still need daily shaves or sometimes more often. One other thing I might mention find out whether morning shaving or evening shaving feels best for you. Anyway that this for what it is worth. Enjoy your efforts. ATB

I do.

by cas, Sunday, April 29, 2012, 16:23 (4386 days ago) @ Byron

Or did. I shaved with straight razors exclusively for about 2 years or more. Then I grew a beard for a while. Lately though I've been using my maternal grandfathers 1966 vintage safety razor, mostly because I find myself shaving in a hurry, half asleep at 3 in the morning. In truth I cut myself much more with the safety razor when I started using it than I ever did with the straight. Now that my life is getting a bit closer to normal again I'll go back to the straight when I can.

I have a Dovo, and a Whacker regrind that I really like, as well as a half dozen or so razors that belonged to my paternal great grandfather who was a barber. (so they're 70-80 years old, maybe more) I used some of them from time to time, but mostly rotated with the two I bought.

No straight razor. Too much effort. I am currently using

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, April 29, 2012, 18:27 (4385 days ago) @ Byron

some sort of cartridge razor with hot water every morning. Not exactly a dry shave. Started this in the army where all that crap was a pain to deal with in the field but I had to shave every day.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Otony, Sunday, April 29, 2012, 19:00 (4385 days ago) @ Byron

I reserve my manly skin and face for other endeavors besides the threat of a straight razor!:-P

Not too sound harsh, because I admire your ability to use such a device, but I had such a terrible, lengthy time finding the right combination of razor, lather, and timing (before or after shower) that would result in my not scraping and gouging my face, that I am now loathe to explore any other avenues.

What I am doing now works, is fast and simple, and took me almost 25 years of experimentation to discover, so I will simply admire your results....from afar.

I use a Remington foil

by bj @, Sunday, April 29, 2012, 21:00 (4385 days ago) @ Byron

The foil razors seem to shave the closest of the electrics but within certain conditions. I find that they work best for me if I use them daily, and if I wash my face and let it dry completely. The foil does not do well with longer whiskers so if I skip a day then it will not do a very good job. The other problem with the foil is if it misses a stray whisker once then it won't get it the next day either. I have a Norelco rotary razor to use to get the longer whiskers when I need to. Also the Remington is rechargeable and sometimes the battery will run down while I'm using it or when I need it. The Norelco is corded only so it is not as portable but it was cheap and will always work when I need it.

Shave with cheapest disposables while showering ....

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Monday, April 30, 2012, 09:26 (4385 days ago) @ bj

..there IS a learning curve, however! Still produce an occasional 'slice' if I'm running on 'automatic' and not paying attention.

I do admire folks....

by Bud, Monday, April 30, 2012, 09:38 (4385 days ago) @ John Meeker

that can use the straight razor. I use an electric 3 head system as I don't care for water in the morning...yeah kinda strange. However the electric won't get whiskers that lie flat, so I use the british mug 'n brush with a cheap disposable blade one in awhile.

I use a Remington foil

by Catoosa, Monday, April 30, 2012, 11:13 (4385 days ago) @ bj

Spent so much time and effort over the years that shaving is just a necessary chore for me, so getting 'em off with minimal hassle is my main concern. Like bj, I have found that foil shavers shave closer but often miss whiskers that come out at an angle. I have several shavers of various types that I have bought and worn out trying to find something that works. Since I retired, I use a rotary most days and follow up with a foil shaver when I need to get a closer, longer-lasting shave. The combination of rotary first, then foil, seems to give the best and quickest results.

I refused to hold a knife to my throat for about 8 years

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 30, 2012, 14:20 (4385 days ago) @ Byron

when I started shaving again, I used the best multitude cartridge razors I can find.
I do like a mug and brush to apply the soap.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Try shaving with Hair Conditioner instead of shaving soap

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, April 30, 2012, 16:00 (4385 days ago) @ Byron

No matter what razor you use. Much closer shave. Problem is its hard to see as it sort of disappears. Always wanted a straight razor shave. I do have one somewhere. Maybe I should try it LOL. First I'd have to sharpen the thing though thats for sure

Bob

by DiamondD, Wednesday, May 02, 2012, 03:03 (4383 days ago) @ Byron

Nothing better than a straight razor shave especially on my bald head but I am terrified of trying it myself. I have done the barber straight razor shave several times and it is the best most refreshing shave I have ever experienced. I do use a brush and shaving soap rather than cream, but I just don't know if I would live through the learning curve of using a straight razor on myself.

If I ever become rich I will pamper myself with every other day barber shop shaves but untill then I guess it is the multi blade do it yourself er.

RSS Feed of thread