I bought a Marlin 39-A this morning

by AkRay, Saturday, April 28, 2012, 13:19 (4386 days ago)

After reading about the Marlin 39 series for so long, I thought that I should be trying one out for myself. This 39-A from 1952 came from a friend of mine who was setting up at the show this morning. The rifle is in really nice factory condition, and the only deliberate flaw it has is that someone electro-penciled their social security number on the side of the receiver. The lever action is very smooth, the hammer clicks solidly into the safety notch, and it has a good feel to it. I also figured that for $375.00 I would be able to get my money back should I ever find myself having to resell it. Time to buy some more brands of 22 ammo and try it out!

[image]

[image]

[image]

Simple Minds....

by ~JM~, Saturday, April 28, 2012, 14:19 (4386 days ago) @ AkRay

I can't imagine what possesses a person to engrave their initials, name, SS#, on a firearm. If you have to mark it for ID purposes, you should be discrete & place it under the butt-pad, grips or other hidden location. Can you cover the engraving with cold blue?

Nice rifle by the way.

~JM~

Very nice!

by Glen, Saturday, April 28, 2012, 14:32 (4386 days ago) @ AkRay

nm

If I were forced to own only one rifle...

by Boge Quinn, Saturday, April 28, 2012, 14:44 (4386 days ago) @ AkRay

...it would be my 39 Century Limited.

I had a couple of 39's over the years....

by Sarge, Saturday, April 28, 2012, 16:59 (4386 days ago) @ AkRay

but my easy favorite was an old Mountie that fed any length of .22 shell slick as glass, and couldn't seem to miss on what should have been hard shots. I also had a 50's Ballard-cut 39A that was a hell of a fine rifle. The things we swap away when were kids!

I bought a Marlin 39-A this morning

by RangerBob, Saturday, April 28, 2012, 18:30 (4386 days ago) @ AkRay

Bought one last year. With a 4x scope it will shoot sub 1/2" groups at 50yds with CCI Mini-mags. It will often shoot 1/3" groups. Awesome .22 rifle.

Love my vintage 1952, as well. Feeds Colibi Supers, too...

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Saturday, April 28, 2012, 20:25 (4386 days ago) @ RangerBob

tho' with them, I ALWAYS make sure a bullet struck, before I lever a new one in. Sticky l'il buggers, those. Deadly, and much quieter than a spring-air gun. Ask the little red squirrels who raid my walnut trees.

RSS Feed of thread