AR's and manufacturers?

by Alfred John, Friday, April 27, 2012, 10:48 (4387 days ago)

Just kind of curious. I am looking at the AR-15 family of rifles and carbines. I wonder who all makes these. Or is it more important to know who doesn't make one? I do have a Colt H-Bar with custom 1 in 8 twist SS barrel which can shoot better than I can. This one weighs in around 10 pounds. I want to get a somewhat lighter one without the carry handle along the lines of a carbine around or under 7 pounds. The more I look on the net the more carbines I find. I am thinking of getting a Sig-400 Enhanced(?)carbine. I like it weight and the way it feels on my shoulder. I suspect my biggest problem is getting to know them better.I was in the Army and trained an used the M1-Garand, transitioned to the M-14 after that. Did good with both but this AR's are a whole new ball game. Never trained on one or was instructed on how to keep it running. I would probably like to get either a training or field manual on the operations, cleaning and lubing them. I have heard a lot about this but would like to read and study for myself. The Sig feels good, it comes with one Mag-pul magazine, a back pack type rifle case, well made as well. So flame away. OF course I could just go with my 303's or K-31 Swiss. Thankyou and have a great day and a good weekend. ATB

LMT, Bashmaster DPMS, DSA, Rock River, Remington , S&W

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, April 27, 2012, 11:06 (4387 days ago) @ Alfred John

Colt's new LE carbine with mag pull furniture... I like my DSA 14.5" (the flash hider makes it over 16")upper with it's light fluted barrel.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

LMT, Bashmaster DPMS, DSA, Rock River, Remington , S&W

by Alfred John, Friday, April 27, 2012, 14:46 (4387 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Thanks for the answers. I know a gun shop which builds them, does good work, but figured I would buy off the rack so to speak. He built up my AR-15 H-Bar with a new barrel, great shooter, but heavy, and it has the carrying handle. He did build himself a nice one (A class Three ) IIRC, was quite nice, but too pricey. Hang in there. ATB

AR's and manufacturers? i have a lot of them; the Sig looks

by cable, Friday, April 27, 2012, 11:07 (4387 days ago) @ Alfred John

and sounds really good, tempts me too. hard to see how you could go wrong with one!
they are all mostly, fairly simple to keep running. like you, i 'grew up' with heavier, wooden stocked rifles, and they are good, but most of them, and even the HK91 with its modern stocks, etc, etc seemed to be designed for someone fighting from a fox hole, or lying prone....they are not light enough and fast handling for the role that these little carbines fill so well. Jeff Cooper talked about putting students through a ' on foot' combat rifle course that required quick point shooting in woods,etc and said that an experienced man with a model 94 carbine would easily beat the fellow with the muzzle heavy full battle rifle, in this type of scenario. the M4 types, for me, handle like a nice model 94 hunting carbine, easy to point and hit with, but with capability of much longer first round hits.

as to maintainence, it seems pretty straight forward......someone posted this link before and it sure seems to cover it all quite well:

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

AR's and manufacturers? i have a lot of them; the Sig looks

by Alfred John, Friday, April 27, 2012, 14:43 (4387 days ago) @ cable

Great article, answers some good questions. I added the address as well to my file. I am going for the Sig-400. Figured I have just about everything else, might as well get one of these new-fangled guns. Hope my Flintlock and percussion's don't get made. I appreciate the information. Best regards. ATB

my flintlocks and percussions feel right at home with 'em

by cable, Friday, April 27, 2012, 17:49 (4387 days ago) @ Alfred John

;-)

all you need is another upper

by bj @, Friday, April 27, 2012, 19:44 (4387 days ago) @ Alfred John

There are several advantages to the AR platform:
1) It is easy to shoot and accurate
2) It is easy to maintain
3) It is very versatile, meaning you can have one lower and multiple uppers for different uses

You can buy any brand of lightweight carbine upper and put it on your lower very easily. I think you can buy a reasonable upper starting at about $500. Colt lowers have been manufactured in "small pin" and "large pin" versions, most other manufacturers make "small pin" lowers. No way to tell which Colt you have without measuring the pins but even if you have the large pin version it is easy to get adapters to allow you to put a small pin upper onto it.

Just keep the .303's away from the new 'battle plastic'...

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Saturday, April 28, 2012, 06:56 (4387 days ago) @ Alfred John

you know how traditional old-timers get grumpy with new kids.

RSS Feed of thread