M4'forging -- ?

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 07:32 (4390 days ago)

Rock River Arms: Coyote Rifle / Rifle Upper Half 20" bbl

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=387

Competition tact-shooter nephew says this is pretty decent for the money, and will build a to-spec lower for me.

Opinions and facts welcome. Do note that a LOT of folks are 16" fans, but I do like an occasional woodchuck foray, too.

Funny that a 'heritage' firearm for the family isn't blue steel and walnut, but it is more suitable for what the future appears to be bringing.

One can shoot chucks with a 16" barrle just fine. I have

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 09:26 (4389 days ago) @ John Meeker

longer 1" bull barrel uppers but the 14.6" fluted barrel DSA (300$ sans bolt carrier for this mid length upper)is my favorite to take anywhere: it is compact light and handy and very reliable.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

My old SP1 was the carbine and it killed groundhogs & crows

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 10:15 (4389 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

with ease.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

My old SP1 .....still have one from 1974, still does the job

by cable, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 10:42 (4389 days ago) @ Hobie

and it is the one that taught me wha these little rifles could do!

M4'forging -- ?

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 09:43 (4389 days ago) @ John Meeker

[image]I have a 20" Coyote upper I got last year. Put it on an A2 Bushy lower. Its my coyote rifle and is extremely accurate.

cool, now try to get iot out of the front seat real fast

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 09:45 (4389 days ago) @ Wildcat

;-)

--

cool, now try to get iot out of the front seat real fast

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 09:47 (4389 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Heck, here in Kansas most folks just shoot out the window!

Shooting out of the windows.....

by Byron, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 10:48 (4389 days ago) @ Wildcat

+1

Byron

that will do just fine

by Miles, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 19:54 (4389 days ago) @ John Meeker

a decent supply of magazines, ammo and components if you want to reload.

Also cultivating good friends at the local Reserve or National Guard armory doesn't hurt either!

ANG will just wanna bum your P mags off'n ya...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 19:56 (4389 days ago) @ Miles

:-D

--

Closing in on a M4'forging -- optics

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 20:19 (4389 days ago) @ John Meeker

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=268.

The NM A4 with the flattop receiver -- going bit upscale, over the recommends. Not set in stone, but my AR-nephew says it's worth extra money to a picky detail fiend like me. He's building the lower, and will have it FFL'd to me.

OPTICS -- Red dots -- not a big fan. Raised on peeps/blades and cross-hairs. Don't have the hang of red-dottery. So, a rugged 1X4 scope or so, mebbe with a MINIMAL range scale seems most likely right now. Looked at around 200.00- 300.00 stuff. Not going to the ends of the Earth in a Climate Change Epic - I hope -- so recommendations 'suitable for civilian use' are OK.

Any other recommends for sighting equipment welcome. Nephew is picking good flip-up irons. Also, will be making a buy on magazines. RobL mentioned some sturdy middle priced ones, and mebbe ten to start?

A thousand rounds of reloadable bulk ammo is about 300.00; any better buys out there? For one-time cheap, GI, Chi-com disposable: 150 for a thou?

This is all new territory to me, so it's pretty much uphill fun. Hope I'm not bogging the board with this topic, and I do appreciate the expertise present and accounted for.

Thank you.

You will do yourself a favor choosing a quality optic...

by Byron, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 09:47 (4388 days ago) @ John Meeker

http://swfa.com/Leatherwood-1-4x24-CMR-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P48497.aspx

This is a very well thought of and versitile scope for general all around use.

When mounted on a quality M4gery style AR in a good quality mount...no airsoft junk....you will be able to shoot to the limits of the round and rifle...ie...about 4-500 yards with good ammo...

While some disagree...you will have more flexiblity with a 1/7" twist...

This will shoot M262 style ammo which moves the 5.56mm round into a much higher level of performance...

Byron

Very reasonbly priced.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:57 (4388 days ago) @ Byron

--

M4'forging -- ?

by Drago, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:22 (4388 days ago) @ John Meeker

My M-4-gery.

[image]

Bushmaster upper and lower with Daniel Defense 16" barrel and rail. Aimpoint on top.

My fav AR style is the same same....

by Byron, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 11:38 (4388 days ago) @ Drago

[image]

The full length handguard is the way to go.

Byron

Shopping List

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 18:17 (4388 days ago) @ John Meeker

Looks like this is firming up: oughta be one nice piece of armament.

From my nephew:

So I'm going to start ordering the components for the rifle. This is the list

1. RRA coyote rifle upper http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=387 delivery time is 2-3 months we might get it faster if we're lucky

2. stripped lower receiver http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/psa-ar15-lower.html or something similar if I can find someone that stocks them locally.

3. Lower parts kit http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/lower-parts/moe-lower-build-kit.html in foliage green as you mentioned.

3. back up folding sights http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/sights-optics/magpul.html

4.Leatherwood 1-4x24 CMR Tactical 30mm Rifle Scope $317.95

Magazine suggestions?

Dang!! RRA Coyoite is 1 in 9 -- isn't 1 in 7 the new

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 19:08 (4388 days ago) @ John Meeker

'mandatory'? Wish I'd studied up on this stuff, instead of foolin' about with double-guns or old-fashioned blued steel/walnut bolt & wheel guns.

Am I going to land a 77gr long-shooter waaaay out there past 600 yards. Prob'ly not. OTOH is/are the new ballistic wonders better for more close-in and 'bigger than four legged' varmints? -- which is my actual and foremost reason for doing this. That, and not being able to manipulate a bolt or lever with any comfort, anymore.

Heck, I've never even owned anything semi-auto [at least within the past forty years or for no longer than one gun show, anyway] but a few .22 pistols, one .22 rifle, and a .45 Glock.

Allee-samee, it's the Twenty-onest Century, and I don't see any Moral Revival of Courtesy, Good Manners, and Law-abiding Community Standards looming on the horizon.

Hope this isn't getting too damn tedious for you all, but it's been some time since I bothered with the major BBS's...just too much B-BS, out there.

Panic attack over -- disregard 1:7 vs 1:8 vs 1:9 & etc

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 20:16 (4388 days ago) @ John Meeker

original specs are OK. Worse than buying a new car, when you've bought one.

Magazine suggestions?

by Byron, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 19:23 (4388 days ago) @ John Meeker

Many.

Byron

1:7 Palmetto Armory

by John Meeker @, West End of Lake Erie, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 19:38 (4388 days ago) @ John Meeker

mag pull p magas w/ windows tre TUFF. & very handy

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, April 26, 2012, 21:07 (4388 days ago) @ John Meeker

watch SCNN for sales or talk to your local guy into about 15-16 per NOT the 20+ I see some guys asking... the same guys that wonder why so many folks shop the net...

--

RSS Feed of thread