Casting bullets

by Rod M, Sunday, April 22, 2012, 16:51 (4407 days ago)

I've started casting bullets and 1200-1500 230 gr RN for .45 ACP cast so far. (Along with 130 lbs in 1 lb ingots, so far.) I don't have a luber/sizer yet. I measured several bullets and they all seem to be right 0.451. Is there any reason I can't use some kind of tumble lube and load them as they are? Lube recommendations?

Rod M

Casting bullets

by anachronism, Sunday, April 22, 2012, 18:50 (4407 days ago) @ Rod M

You'll want to slug your pistols bore first. .451 could be on the small side, I'm sorry to say.
Here are a couple of links that might help. This guy has an interesting approach. I prefer to use egg-shaped fishing sinkers. I also use oil on the slug to make it pass through the bore easier, and of course the bore must be completely clean- no copper fouling or anything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuNoo4m6jso&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPHypjU5alQ&feature=relmfu

Slug the barrel as said above. If the barrel is .451, then

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, April 22, 2012, 19:17 (4407 days ago) @ Rod M

the as cast 451 size might result in leading of the barrel;you usually want .001 larger than the barrel groove. However, it might still work. You could use the Lee liquid lube on the bullets and give them a try.

Slug the barrel as said above. If the barrel is .451, then

by Murphy @, Sunday, April 22, 2012, 20:46 (4407 days ago) @ Cherokee

I agree with the others. Typically you want to go .001 thosandths over jacketed diameter with a cast bullet.

Lube's are another thing. The array of bullet lubes available both store bought and home brew are plentiful.

You may or may not have heard of this site http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

While there are some fine folks here with a lot of knowledge, you'll find more on the above site than anywhere. I've been a member there for 5-6 years now. I learned more in the 18 months I was on that site than I'd learned on my own in the prior 25 years.

Good luck and welcome to the 'Brotherhood Of The Silver Stream'.

Murphy

+1 on the cast bullet site..

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, April 23, 2012, 07:33 (4407 days ago) @ Murphy

:-P

The only way to know for sure is load up a hundred and shoot

by erssk @, Monday, April 23, 2012, 00:01 (4407 days ago) @ Rod M

them if the accuracy is acceptable in your gun with your load Gas'm'up Cowboy and don't look back

Lee lube is messy

by Bud, Monday, April 23, 2012, 07:02 (4407 days ago) @ erssk

I use it in odd applications, but getcha a lubesizer.

Lee lube is messy

by uncowboy, Wednesday, April 25, 2012, 18:13 (4404 days ago) @ Bud

Get a luber sizer ! Now that I told you the right answer TRY This. Take 50 of youir bullets and put them in a zip loc baggie, Add 1 Tea spoon Of Johnsons past wax Found at any hardware store. Mix well and remove the bullets to dry overnight. try them you might get lucky! J.Michael

RSS Feed of thread