repairing "cosmetic" damage to a stainless Security Six

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 13:56 (4406 days ago)

Many years ago I picked up a stainless Security Six that was apparently a law enforcement trade in. On the frame just below the cylinder window is crudely engraved KY-XX-XX. Shy of having it engraved all over or dishing out the spot with a grinder, is there something I could do to disguise the scar? I'd thought of a lettering style punch but all they have is letters and numbers - I'm not sure XXXing or TTTing it out would be much of an improvement. I just ran across a set of Jay Scott imitation stag grips and thought I'd dress up the old girl a bit.

How deep is it etched?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 14:27 (4406 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Careful file work followed by various grades of wet-n-dry and finished up with maroon Scotch-Brite and you'll never know it was there.

it is more than just scratched

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 14:33 (4406 days ago) @ Hoot

Looks like it was done with one of those cheapo electic engraving pencils. That is probably still the way to go. Even if I can't remove it entirely maybe I could at least minimize it. Won't be a high class barbeque gun but it'll do for now.

At least it is stainless and a relatively easy fix! Sixes

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 20:31 (4406 days ago) @ stonewalrus

are worth the effort.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread