Front sight, I have been wondering about something for a

by ERSISK @, Thursday, April 12, 2012, 04:23 (4415 days ago)

couple of years now. Since we all agree the front sight is so important when shooting handguns why doesn't everyone mount their Leupold Deltapoint/Burris Speedbead/ Doctor Dot type sights on the front of the slide forward of the ejection port. It seems to me it would be eaiser and faster to pick up the dot with the horizontal top plane of the slide as a reference. As opposed to the flat vertical plane of the rear of the slide with the dot sight mounted directly above it.

Won't fit into a holster....

by Byron, Thursday, April 12, 2012, 11:12 (4415 days ago) @ ERSISK

[image]

Also, it is easier to get a stable sight picture when the sight is positioned above the hand than when at the end of the slide. With the single plane sight picture accuracy is unchanged regardless of where it is on the handgun.

Unless one has tried this setup they are missing out...especially if your eyes are getting old.

Byron

Maybe its just me

by ERSISK @, Thursday, April 12, 2012, 18:19 (4415 days ago) @ Byron

I have several red dot sights including Aimpoints and Fastfire that I have tried on multiple handguns. I am constantly searching for the dot when it is mounted at the rear of the slide with no visual boreline reference available. Take the front and rear sights off of that Glock and see how fast it is without the sights for a reference to find the dot. It might not fit a conventional holster but I bet RL could make somthin up that would work Compitetion race holsters are little more than a couple of pieces of plastic and metal rods holding a pistol with big comps, and mounts with big dot sights.

RSS Feed of thread