Should a .308 autoloader service style rifle be.....

by Byron, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 08:07 (4417 days ago)

A full size 20" barrel 9.5 lb rifle or a compact 16" barrel 6 pounder....

All things being equal.

I will not be climbing to the top of high mountains with it but will carry it a bit.

Shooting will be within a quarter mile.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Byron

by Alfred John, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 08:38 (4417 days ago) @ Byron

I like the idea of a light weight rifle as you mention. One thing I have found is most people add to much weight to a rifle and it winds up being a ten pound rifle. At the range you speak of open sights are good. The nine and half pound rifle can gain weight as well. Of course I am getting older, used to be able to toss around M1 Garands like chopsticks. Found I favor the lighter stuff now days. Some rifles like the M1 and M1A do gain weight when you look at them kept in a dark closet or somesuch. ATB

I am with you. in a slightly convoluted manner i wound up.

by cable @, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 10:51 (4417 days ago) @ Alfred John

with a really well decked out one of thes:

http://www.dpmsinc.com/store/products/?prod=4854&cat=1940

and another friend has one too. light , powerful and with a good scope both of ours shoot 5 shot groups well under an inch at 100 yds. i wouldnt have believed it. hard to go wrong with one like this. i have had HK91, HK 770 , HK SL-7, and an MIA,,, all were good butm, other than the HK770 a sporting rifle, they were not fast handling and easy to instantly bring to bear on target...the SL7 was lightweight but poorly balanced. i find this one to be a great combo of reliability, handling, etc with terrific accuracy.

by JD, Western Washington, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 14:54 (4417 days ago) @ Byron

I like the 20" barrel for the 308, and that's what I have on my M1A. I have shot shorter barrel 308's and I don't like the excessive muzzle blast, plus 4" of barrel cut off doesn't save much weight and the shorter rifle doesn't balance nearly as well for me. With iron sights that extra 4" in sight radius makes a big difference in being able to hit things at long range (Not to mention having the front sight farther away makes it easier for these older eyes to keep in sharp focus). In 223 the 16" barrel is great, but in 308 I'll take a 20" barrel hands down...

I like the barrel length on my standard M1A. Its just like

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 19:48 (4417 days ago) @ Byron

the one I had in the Army, although it does seem to be a little heavier now days. The muzzle blast from the shorter barrel would bother me. I'm going to look into one of those AR style 308.

I like the barrel length on my standard M1A. Its just like

by Gila Jorge, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 19:59 (4417 days ago) @ Cherokee

Lookint at getting a 20inch Rock River 308 just under 9 pounds...had a Panther 308 oin 16 inch...took one shot and got rid of it...way toooooo much muzzle blast to suit me...no damn thank you...

You have poodle shooters for lightweight guns. Stick with

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 20:04 (4417 days ago) @ Byron

full size rifle format.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 20:32 (4416 days ago) @ Byron

We have the synthetic stocked standard M1A in the shop. Weight change to the short barrel not so great but it is "handier" with the shorter barrels. As is it seems to be less weight than the M1 Rifle. I actually paid money for the M1 rifle. The loaded M1A/M14 magazines seemed more daunting to me than the M1 clips. It also seems to me that one of these rifles scoped might be a good idea, but if that is the what I need, I'm going to be in deeeeeeep doodoo indeed. My scoped AR type weighs less than the unscoped M1A/M14 or M1.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Where the short barrel has a huge advantage...

by mcassill, Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 21:35 (4415 days ago) @ Hobie

is if you are working in and out of armored vehicles. Long barrel is more than a little unhandy for that task. With good optics, sight radius doesn't matter nearly as much either.

by Otony, Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 07:42 (4416 days ago) @ Byron

As the esteemed Mr. Taffin would say (write?), buy 'em both!

I have a converted Saiga with 16.25" barrel and a skeletonized aluminum stock. It just needs a good red dot to make my old eyes work, and that is coming.

Then I have a Springfield M1A Loaded with standard length barrel. Excellent weapon, but if I were to do it over I would split the difference and buy an M1A with the 18" barrel and call it good.

Still, that little Saiga is sooo tiny, and I love the bark!

I've played with the Springfield SOCOM that Gunner...

by mcassill, Thursday, April 12, 2012, 09:03 (4415 days ago) @ Otony

used to have. I liked it a LOT.
Mark

I've got a full size Armalite AR-10 that is very accurate.

by MR, Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 14:34 (4416 days ago) @ Byron

I wish it was a flat top carbine. It's gets really long and unhandy in the woods with a suppressor added to the front end.

Carry an M1-A in rememberence of those who humped its

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 16:52 (4416 days ago) @ Byron

select fire cousin in S.E Asia way back when you and I were kids in the 60's.
Besides, you only carry one if your hunting with it. It's not like were humping it for days on end like an 19 year old in a jungle. We can hack it, even though we are in our late 50's (well me anyway,late 50's that is).

I figure I'd shoot one more than I would carry one and I do like the sights

Bob

I am a little new to the topic But I have recently had the

by Gary G, Wednesday, April 11, 2012, 19:33 (4416 days ago) @ Byron
edited by Gary G, Thursday, April 12, 2012, 19:37

chance to play around with two FN SCAR 17s. And I am very impressed. Shot sub one groups with British Radway Green Surplus ammo. And just about every other kind of bullet as well. Except the Russian stuff. Shot OK but did not really like it(Either Gun did not shoot it well. They have all but done away with any muzzle flip. Stock folds and fires folded. MAGAZINES ARE HARD TO COME BY RIGHT NOW,, IS A DOWNSIDE.

Had no problems with any time I have had to shoot these rifles.

RSS Feed of thread