Gentlemen, may I ask for some prayers?

by Otony, Monday, April 09, 2012, 13:58 (4417 days ago)

Been struggling with cholesterol issues for quite some time, and have adverse reactions to conventional medicines.

I went to a Lipid Clinic a month or so back, and found a good combination of meds and vitamins that allow me to tolerate Crestor. Alas, it may be too little, too late.

Part of the screening process for the clinic was a calcium load with a CT scan. My three main arteries are pretty severely blocked. The real method of checking for certain, however, is to have an angiogram (sp?) performed.

The local cardiologist here was not too inspiring, so I/we elected to travel to Spokane to go to the Heart Clninc there. I am leaving in a couple of hours, the tests will be done tomorrow about 14:00 hours, Pacific time.

Depending on what they find, I may get away with a stern warning 'bout my need for exercise, but my family practice doc (a personal friend) and the local heart guy strongly suspect other measures are in order. Given the way I feel of late, I tend to agree.

The possibilities mentioned range from angioplasty to stints, to cracking me like a walnut for open heart surgery. Needless to say I am a bit mopey.

I don't get enough exercise lately, but I also don't lead a crappy lifestyle, at least not too much of one. Little overweight, a half dozen cigars a year, seldom drink alcohol but suck down water like crazy, good dietary practices (usually). All the docs seem to agree that this is simply the luck of the draw and one of the culprits is hereditary issues. In any case, I would appreciate your prayer coverage. Not so much for me, but for my wife Natalia and our two small children. My boy Vinny turned six this past Christmas, my daughter Tatiana will be four this June.

I am an old fart for such young ones, but I dearly would like to be around them for awhile longer. Given the state of the art re: heart treatments, I am fairly sure that things will turn out OK regardless of what is found, but I still need/want prayer badly. Been hanging out with you fellows for a goodly long while now, so I figured y'all are the ones to ask, along with my other friends and family here and there abouts the country.

Hope I don't sound too depressing....

Otony

Done......

by JD, Western Washington, Monday, April 09, 2012, 14:07 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

Best of luck to you, and please keep us posted...

Prayers said. Now get a follow-up in Seattle. Doctors

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 09, 2012, 14:51 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

move to Spokane for the fishing & outdoors nearby. They get requited to Seattle for their greatness.;-)
Rob

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by John Purcell, Monday, April 09, 2012, 15:16 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

Prayers sent. John

Done sir.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Monday, April 09, 2012, 15:52 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

Prayers sent up.

You need to talk to JLF or Norm. They've been through the .

by MR, Monday, April 09, 2012, 16:02 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

worst of what you mention and are ornery-er than ever.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Monday, April 09, 2012, 16:23 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

You got It, Prayers on the way .

done - I too am an older codger with an almost 5 year old

by stonewalrus, Monday, April 09, 2012, 17:14 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

Nm

You have my prayer. Been there, done that, still

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, April 09, 2012, 17:23 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

around after 20 years. Stents are wonderful things.

Prayers said. I hope you read this after hearing better

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, April 09, 2012, 17:50 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

news!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

You got it Tony

by Glen, Monday, April 09, 2012, 19:28 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

Please keep us posted.

You surely may, and you got 'em

by Catoosa, Monday, April 09, 2012, 19:37 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

Getting old ain't a whole bunch of fun due to stuff like that, but things can be done if you know about the problems in time. I had a friend at work who got no warning - ex-Marine, slender and fit, got plenty of exercise. Went for a walk around the parking lot at lunchtime, got dizzy, and was dead before he hit the ground. Massive coronary. Have faith, my friend. You can beat it.

Otony, you are in my thoughts and I look forward to good

by brionic @, Monday, April 09, 2012, 20:53 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

news.

Otony, you are in my thoughts and I look forward to good

by Dennis Eugene @, Prince of Wales Island Alaska, Monday, April 09, 2012, 23:04 (4417 days ago) @ brionic

A lot of us are a long ways from you but we're standing right alongside you. Prayers sent. Dennis

Prayers and bit of hope.....

by John Meeker @, AR-somethin' question..., Monday, April 09, 2012, 23:10 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

Some years ago my right leg artery went South, with blockages, clots, and a serious hospital immobilization to keep the first clot from breaking loose and 'turning me off like a light switch', as the Doc put it. [PAD - peripheral artery disease]

Well, I didn't heed the guy's advice, went diabetic, and thought I was a fine fellow at 240+. That's not your case, but what followed in due time was a much more serious clot, a completely blocked lower femoral, a new synthetic artery, and then a MERSA infection. Back into ER and another try at the artery, a bad throw of the operating dice, lost most of my natural blood, and the Doc predicted amputation shortly. In the ensuing days in Critical care, I died.

For a while, anyway. It was an interesting interlude, and I assure anyone who reads this that there was no white light or horde of greeting relatives. There was, however, a period of space and time and connectedness to the spiritual unity of Living Life, that lets me assure anyone who asks -- that there is nothing to fear in Death -- it becomes far more Life than ever imagined. I balanced on that knowlwdge for some time, knowing that I had a choice to expand that awareness or return. I decided that there were things I had left undone. Weeks later, weighing barely 150 lbs, I walked out of there. The Doc called it a "miracle leg".

Recovery was slow, but being a thick-head, I back-slid to 220lb+: diabetic, cholesterol, circulatory and other numbers weren't good. "NONCOMPLIANT", said my Sugar Doc. So, I started to walk with the dogs: walk hard until that damn leg hurt like a MF'r, stop, and then walk some more. My wife and I worked hard on eating healthy and watching portions. And, I began riding my old bike. I'd been a bike mechanic and commuter decades ago, so I remembered how, y'know.

Going on three years later, I stay at 180 to 175 on a six-foot frame, lightly lift weights for upper body tone, spend an hour a day biking back and forth to work with interval sprints to liven things up, and still don't walk enough. My numbers are those of much younger person: pulse of high 40's to low 50's, BP 100 over 42, cholesterol well withing a good range and sugar steady in low numbers.

But there are no promises: all three arteries in the right leg are now plugged. The reason I still have it, is because collateral vessels have been forced to take up the slack, from sustained physical exertion. The left leg has it's own probs, too. The bill is due someday, but the regained fitness and sense of well-being from real, sweaty, hard, painful work has been worth every bit of it. I surely appreciate my days.

This is a lot more than I've written on-line for a long time, and I did this for those of us, who like Otony, face serious health questions and consequences. We can most surprisingly survive severe health declines, and recover from them far better than our family, docs, and ourselves ever suspected. And yes, we will worry about the effects of all this upon those we love: because we are good folk.

Yet, should our bodies fail, I say with complete faith and certitude that it is not the end, but the beginning. As I looked down upon planet Earth from far above, and saw it's smallest details and it's totality at the same time, I knew that no matter what, it was OK to stay and okay to return, for I was in good hands forever.

So may it be for us all, when it comes to that.
And not too soon, either, Thank You!! ;~`)
Best wishes for health, and a good outcome.

done and will do. you will be in good hands....both

by cable @, Monday, April 09, 2012, 23:57 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

down here and above. most probably can be fixed with stints.

by Sal, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 00:40 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

prayers in route, God Bless

You got it pal.

by Sarge, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 01:10 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

nm

You got it Tony!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 03:52 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

Certainly!

by Mike P @, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 06:34 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

Way better having the opportunity to schedule this than having 'somthing happen' on it's own.

When I was in similar spot my buddy arranged with my wife to get me out to the range a day or two before the festivities. It was a blessing. The old 'Vapors of 2400' medicine. Repeat as needed.

Thanks for posting - We can't help unless we know ; )

Every blessing to you and yours.

P.S. Did you sell that Benjamin 22 air ?

Prayers sent.

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 07:01 (4417 days ago) @ Otony

You are in our prayers.

Prayers sent....

by Brian A, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 07:25 (4416 days ago) @ Otony

nm

Done

by Byron, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 08:03 (4416 days ago) @ Otony

Been There.

by JLF @, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 10:24 (4416 days ago) @ Otony

I can only speak for myself, but I had the full-monte walnut cracking, and I had more pain and recovery time when I had my tonsils taken out. I was cracked on a Tuesday morning, and kicked out of the hospital on Friday afternoon. I was back on the job Monday morning, slow and tender, but up and going. It's easy-does-it for about a month, no bunjee-jumping, or shoulder-firing large caliber rifles, and then about all you got left is that big hurking scar to show off, and some new wire to set off metal detectors.

It's silly to call getting your innards tinkered with "routine", but I have to say that in my case, the drizzles I gave myself beforehand were worse than the actual proceedure. Modern medicine is pretty amazing stuff.

Then there are those who say I simply don't have sense enough to realize how serious it is...

JLF

You got it, brother.

by Caz, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:41 (4416 days ago) @ Otony

Keep us posted plz!

Done

by Drago, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 11:51 (4416 days ago) @ Otony

:-|

Good Luck and Prayers sent

by Bob Hatfield @, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 17:15 (4416 days ago) @ Otony

nm

by Gila Jorge, Tuesday, April 10, 2012, 20:03 (4416 days ago) @ Otony

Been there and done that...and stints are putting bandaids on a snake bite...get the angio plasty and do the open heart surgery...the by pass route where they take veins from your thighs and replace the arteries...I had a triple by-pass 7 years ago last Nov 15....and did not realize how bad I felt and did not realize it...God has a way of redeeming many things and this is just one more example...Blessings in His name..

RSS Feed of thread