Want a 'free' pair of exc. condition, prewar Magna stocks?

by FOG, Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 17:58 (4413 days ago)

• Buy this gun: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=278098373
• Remove and replace (R&R) grips w/cheap substitute of your choice/convenience...
• Turn around and resell gun for pretty much what you have in it...
• Or, for that matter, keep the darn thing and shoot it...
Voilà! => A free* pair of exc. condition, prewar Magna stocks!

No connection here, of course. ;-)

But no cash, either. :-|

*THE FINE PRINT: Individual results may vary... :-D In particular, someone else − someone with CA$H − might be onto it... :-|

--
[image]

Want a 'free' pair of exc. condition, prewar Magna stocks?

by cubrock, Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 18:26 (4413 days ago) @ FOG

I'm betting the gun will go for quite a bit more than current bid. :)

I think you're right about that.

by FOG, Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 18:52 (4413 days ago) @ cubrock

The question is, What is the 'break-even' point for someone who just wants the stocks?

I'm not sure − and the engraved initials and other changes hurt a lot − but I would still guess the gun could be resold with 'reasonable' substitute grips for at least a grand, possibly more.

Things are pretty crazy out there price-wise. (Easy for me to say, of course, because I'm broke. :-D)

The prewar stocks alone are worth at least $500, probably more.

A lot more... ;-)

I think you're right about that.

by cubrock, Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 20:57 (4413 days ago) @ FOG

Yep - those are $500 stocks, easy. Given the alterations on the gun, I doubt it would bring a grand without the stocks, but you never know. I'd love to have $500 in that gun and use it as a shooter.

Argh.... I've got a '56 gun just like that but

by brionic @, Wednesday, March 28, 2012, 22:26 (4413 days ago) @ FOG

without the prewar stocks. Mine also has the offensive initials, but on the sideplate, and even uglier.

What I don't get is, if you've made the decision to electro pencil your fine revolver, why not at least do a neat job of it?

Anyway, mine, a 6.5"er, has an amazing action and despite the absurd scratches, is an winner and is worth a lot more as a shooter than I could sell it for. $500 stocks would help, of course.

Argh.... I've got a '56 gun just like that but

by Catoosa, Thursday, March 29, 2012, 22:17 (4412 days ago) @ brionic

Skeeter wrote a story years ago concerning similar treatment of a fine Colt SSA.

In my younger and dumber days I did that on the frontstrap of a Commander. Later, after I learned how tacky such was, I had it covered up with some nicely done and very functional stippling, and vowed never to commit such a travesty again.

I've got a law enforcement trade in Stainless Security Six

by stonewalrus, Friday, March 30, 2012, 10:12 (4412 days ago) @ brionic

With the tackiest KY... Numbering scribbled on the side with an electric engraving tool. Great gun. At a good price - Thanks to Catoosa for discovering it for me (my first centerfire handgun) Shy of having it ground out at an insert put there not much I can do about it. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Well, it sold for $850.05...

by FOG, Monday, April 02, 2012, 02:19 (4409 days ago) @ FOG

So, let's call it $900 even with the $25 shipping and transfer fees, if any.

If the stocks are worth, say, $600 (which is probably low, if anything), then that means the new owner has only $300 in the gun.

I'd say that's well below the 'break-even' point. ;-)

--
[image]

RSS Feed of thread