Kahr CW-9 opinions

by R.E. (steps into the room for a minute) @, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 00:24 (4416 days ago)

Hi guys it has been way too long. However, between work and my now 5 yr old daughter I just haven't had much time or money for other interests lately. It's good to see several names posting that I recognize. I miss you all.

Back at Christmas time I handled a Kahr CW-9 in a new shop in my mother inlaws home town. It has made a lasting impression. The big Tulsa gun show is next week and I will have all my pennies saved up to afford one as soon as I get my check this week. I have no other 9mm's or plastic guns right now as they have never really impressed me but for some reason the feel of this one did. Does anyone here have one or any experience with one they can share? Give me the good, the bad and the ugly on them if you would.

I hope all is well with you all here. Thanks,
R.E.

I see a lot of orders to cw9. cw40 and 45 holsters coming

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 11:16 (4416 days ago) @ R.E. (steps into the room for a minute)

through the shop. If that indicates anything. The 9mm is the most popular with skinny guys. I am considering a Kahr 9mmfor my daughter.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

You do know that skinny defines me. However, ...

by R.E., Monday, March 26, 2012, 22:37 (4415 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I really would like a 45 but I have so little time for reloading these days that the economical aspect of factory 9mm plinking ammo just can't be ignored. Good to hear from you Rob.

Kahr CW-9 opinions

by Gunner @, St Louis, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 11:56 (4416 days ago) @ R.E. (steps into the room for a minute)

I have had one for several years now, it is my truck gun. Great pistol, accurate, reliable with a good trigger. Easy to shoot and I hate polymer pistols, the recoil impulse feels odd to me, not with the CW9, very solid feel when shooting. I run Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P ammo in mine and has been 100% from day one.

Gunner

Kahr CW-9 opinions

by Otony, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 18:16 (4416 days ago) @ R.E. (steps into the room for a minute)

I have never owned a CW-9, but I did have a couple of K9 versions with steel frames in the past, which were solid performers aside from a cosmetic issue with one. But for some reason I went brain dead (not uncommon for me) recently, and bought an LC9 rather than a CW-9.

well, color me embarrassed, but that LC9 has already gone down the road (you were right Rob, sigh) and I am looking for either a Smith 642 or a Kahr CW-9. which ever one I find a deal on will be a constant companion, hopefully with no regrets this time.

Honestly, I wish Kahr made an aluminum framed K9, but plastic works, witness that I carry a Glock 19 or 32 about 95% of the time. i just want something smaller and lighter.

Otony

Could I ask why you dropped the LC9?

by stonewalrus, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 21:37 (4416 days ago) @ Otony

I've handled an LC9 and there was something quite right about it for me but I couldn't put my finger on it.

I have one, but it is used for holster fitting, my J's are

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 22:16 (4416 days ago) @ stonewalrus

superior. The trigger pull on the LC9 is LONG.

--

Could I ask why you dropped the LC9?

by Otony, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 22:49 (4416 days ago) @ stonewalrus
edited by Otony, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 22:54

Well, it never gave me any trouble but I figured it would down the road. I have read soooo many complaints about these over at the Ruger forum and elsewhere that I simply lost confidence in it.

Yup, I drank the internet kool-aid and was pizened. There have been such an amazing number of compaints about these that in the back of my mind I couldn't shake the thought that somehow, something, sometime, was going to go wrong. And when the wife expressed interest in carrying it, those thoughts just kept knawing away at me relentlessly.

Since she has a perfect Smith 432 (hammerless six shot J-frame in .32 Magnum) that she handles remarkably well, I figured it was better to have her carry that than a question mark. I myself still need/want a lighter weapon than my Glocks, hence the search for a CW-9 or a 642 (first choice actually).

Plus, lets face it, the wind was blowing and I needed a new gun.

I blame Rob......:eyebrows:

Another airweight J carried? I accept FULL responsabilty

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, March 26, 2012, 10:28 (4415 days ago) @ Otony

:-D

--

Another airweight J carried? I accept FULL responsabilty

by Otony, Monday, March 26, 2012, 12:04 (4415 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Hah, you see, I listen...occasionally!

I was thinking back over the years, and can come up with seven diferent J-frame snubbies that have passed through my hands, plus one clean .32 I-frame. Still have the I-frame and the 432, in a manner of speaking, as both have been claimed in no uncertain terms by SWMBO. Apparently she pays more attention to what works than I do. :fryingpan:

Well, one good thing, at least I still have a sharkskin holster for a J-frame that some hide stretcher cut out for me. :-D

Otony

Kahr CW's

by Sarge, Monday, March 26, 2012, 08:27 (4415 days ago) @ R.E. (steps into the room for a minute)

I've shot three of the CW40s and they were reliable and capable of grapefruit sized 25 yard groups, if you pay attention to basics. My only reservation with the CW's was their size and that has been remedied in the CM series.

[image]

With 5+1 rounds of .40 and an unloaded weight of 14 oz., this is definitely a hideout gun. If it works as well as the CWs, I'll buy one at some point.

Howdy Randy! Good to see you here.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, March 26, 2012, 19:43 (4415 days ago) @ R.E. (steps into the room for a minute)

I now how to spell Kahr....that's all I got.

Hey sometimes I....

by R.E., Monday, March 26, 2012, 22:40 (4415 days ago) @ Hoot

put the R before the H. It's good to hear from you my freind. Hope all is well with you. I wish I had more time to keep in touch.

Thanks guys....

by R.E., Monday, March 26, 2012, 22:34 (4415 days ago) @ R.E. (steps into the room for a minute)

most likely I will find out how I like them come saturday afternoon.

Kahr CW-9 opinions

by Jared, Tuesday, March 27, 2012, 09:47 (4414 days ago) @ R.E. (steps into the room for a minute)

Hey Randy glad to hear you are still around and doing well. I have an old MK 40 that is a nice gun just a little heavy. I like it but rarely carry it anymore. I have shot several different polymer Kahrs and they all have been accurate and reliable. Now that they have got the price back down with the CW series I have been thinking about a 9mm or 45.

Keep in touch,

Jared

RSS Feed of thread