Hornady Lock and Load Progressive vs Dillon 550

by DiamondD, Thursday, March 22, 2012, 14:31 (4420 days ago)

If you had an older 550 showing some neglect would you get it cleaned up and working or buy the new dangled Hornady?

never used a Hornady press, but judging from the crappy dies

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, March 22, 2012, 14:37 (4420 days ago) @ DiamondD

that Horndady (Honestly...a little wire clip that will fail, to retain the sizing tube? They know they fail as the include a spare!)makes I would stick with the Dillon.
Dillon will refurb that Used 550 for FREE. I friend recently dug up a BEAT parts missing/and/or broken Dillon press they made it like new 150 worth of parts no charge... Hard to beat.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

never used a Hornady press, but judging from the crappy dies

by DiamondD, Thursday, March 22, 2012, 15:05 (4420 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I really think all this Dillon needs is a good cleaning and familiarize myself with it. It sat in a shed for a couple of years before I got it, and a couple of more in my dads basement.

DILLON! The only progressive I know with consistently good

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, March 22, 2012, 15:33 (4420 days ago) @ DiamondD

reports from actual users.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I sent my used 550B Dillion

by Bud, Friday, March 23, 2012, 08:01 (4419 days ago) @ Hobie

That had a documented 600,000_+ rds loaded on it to dillion to have a few wornout parts replaced. The only thing they sent me back from the old press was the handle. Completely new press, plus they sent me a parts pack. Dillion is the company for me.

I sent my used 550B Dillion

by uncowboy, Friday, March 23, 2012, 13:24 (4419 days ago) @ Bud

Rule 1 Dillon
Rule 2 See rule #1

Dillon....

by Byron, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 10:12 (4417 days ago) @ uncowboy

I guess I'm the odd one...

by Corderhorse, Friday, March 23, 2012, 20:04 (4419 days ago) @ DiamondD

I've used both the 550 and the Hornady LNL before purchacing. I bought the Hornady and haven't looked back since. In fact it made a convert who may have his 550 for sale soon.

The plus's for me is the spring cartrige retainer. No tiny pins to loose or fumble with.
The Lock and load system means a simple twist of the powder measure, dump and refill in less than 30 seconds.
Priming system is a simple spring for the carrier and a 7/16 wrench for the punch. Again less than a minute to change.

I am not saying anything bad about the Dillon. It is a fine press. I just prefer the Hornady.

Todd

I guess I'm the odd one...

by Dennis Eugene @, Prince of Wales Island Alaska, Saturday, March 24, 2012, 10:05 (4418 days ago) @ Corderhorse

I've never tried a Dillion ,but own a new Hornady LNL and love it. Also there customer service can be matched by RCBS and I've heard Dillion but it can't be beat as it is also top of the line. I found a few bumps in the road when first setting up and useing my Hornady and they worked with me,helped me out and even replaced a few parts free. I felt that they were so helpful that I made a point of calling them to Thank them once problems were resolved. The purchase price is why I chose the Hornady over the Dillion how ever if I had a Dillion already I'm sure I would find myself very happy with it also. Dennis

RSS Feed of thread