I might be going black.

by cr, Saturday, March 17, 2012, 19:46 (4436 days ago)

Local shop has an Armalite M15A4CB that has me flinging a craving. I've barely shot an AR much less ever wanted one. He also has Bushmaster, Ruger, Lewis, Colt. DPMS,

Any one have any experience with the Armalite and what do you think?

for ARs in general, I prefer shorter and lighter.

by RL, Saturday, March 17, 2012, 19:59 (4436 days ago) @ cr

just sayin.

If you're going to shoot from a bench, or prone

by anachronism, Saturday, March 17, 2012, 21:19 (4436 days ago) @ cr

If you're going to shoot from a bench, or prone, a heavy barrel makes sense. However, I use the lightest weight barrels I can get when I plan to shoot while standing on my hind legs. A lot really depends on what you want to use the rifle for. DCM matches would suggest a heavier, match grade barrel, while 3 Gun leads me to lighter, shorter rifles. To be honest, I don't think there is such a thing as "one" black rifle. Most guys I know (myself included) have several different ones. A second AR is apositive symptom of the dreaded "black rifle" disease, for which there is no known cure. Besides, they're like Barbie dolls for guys. You can dress them up any way you want.

Every citizen should have one. WHICH one is a matter of

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, March 18, 2012, 09:08 (4436 days ago) @ cr

personal taste/preference. The important thing is that the barrel twist rate be at least 1-9 and that it accept M16 magazines.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Gots me a few.....

by Otony, Sunday, March 18, 2012, 10:34 (4436 days ago) @ cr

Two AR rifles and one AR pistol, plus a milled Bulgarian AK47, a converted Saiga .308, and a Sprinfield Armory M1A.

Armalite should be good to go, but I will follow the crowd and suggest a lighter barreled variant. One of my ARs is a light carbine, t'other is a heavier barreled rifle. I fiddle with the cabine more, but truth be told, I actually play with the pistol even more. It is lighter overall, and has a long buffer tube that manages to sneak into my shoulder very easily.....

I will admit to favoring the AK47 a bit more than an AR at this point in time, but would be happy with either.

Otony

I might be going black.

by Gila Jorge, Tuesday, March 20, 2012, 17:40 (4433 days ago) @ cr

I had a DPMS and did not like it....also have Rock River 223 and will be getting another in 308...about a 9 pound gun with scope...maybe 9.5....Love FNs but they are a bit too spendy for my purposes....Rock River have cryo barrels standard and run about 1600....

I might be going black.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 23:29 (4432 days ago) @ cr

My son has one of these, except that his was made during the "ban" years and has a muzzle brake instead of a flash hider. It's also the most accurate of any of the "standard" AR's I've ever shot. Armalite builds a top notch AR.

I might be going black.

by DeeBee @, Sunday, March 25, 2012, 18:40 (4428 days ago) @ cr

Colt is the Gold Standard. Look at m4carbine.net for very detailed technical discussions of the 'whys'. There shouldn't be that much of a difference in price (especially if you use one of the dealers on this website, like G&RTactical).

RSS Feed of thread