Holster preference, straight drop vs angled.

by Murphy @, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 22:02 (4442 days ago)

Over the years, I've accumulated various holster's for various needs.

I think the first thing one has to address is their body build. High ride holsters seem to work well for many, but not all of us. They place the grip too high and if the barrel is over 4"s, things get a lot worse trying to clear leather.

Crossdraw's and shoulder holsters. If you're barrel chested and short armed, frustration sits in real quick.

Now about straight drop vs angled.

I'm not sure when the 'FBI' cant came about, but I have concluded it is not for me. It feels very unnatural for me to bend my hand/wrist to get a proper grip on the weapon, not so with a straight drop in my case. The one exception is when it comes to my 1911's wearing IWB holsters.

More and more, I seem to find myself looking at old duty rig's with a straight drop for range work. Then again, I'd much rather use my acutual everyday holster(s) at the range.

Anyone else prefer the straight drop over the FBI cant?

Thanks,

Murphy

Footnote: Mr. Richards, I have already scoured the area and can't find one single onion sack to be had.

I think a lot has to do with build/body shape and gun length

by stonewalrus, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 22:37 (4442 days ago) @ Murphy
edited by stonewalrus, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 22:46

My son likes the cant even with a Hi Power but he's pretty skinny. I like it for my Taurus Mil Pro but it only has a 3 1/4 inch barrel. I don't think a longer barrel would work for my bulges.

by MR, Monday, March 12, 2012, 00:23 (4442 days ago) @ Murphy

It does have to do with body style. My favorite holster is a flap straight hang holser for my Hi Power. I also like a holster that has the top of the belt loop about even with the rear sight. High Ride's just don't work well for me.

[image]

[image]

by "Doc" O'Meara @, Monday, March 12, 2012, 02:55 (4442 days ago) @ Murphy

RE: Your footnote I should think a well cleaned sugar sack or flour sack would do nicely, instead. ;-)

10 to 15 degrees high ride for me. Long arms though

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, March 12, 2012, 09:19 (4441 days ago) @ Murphy

Carried in the hollow, yes even most big guys have a slight hollow behind their hip, a 1911 or N frame rides comfortably and is quickly acquired. guys with rotator cuff or other shoulder injuries tend to do better with slightly in front of the hip forward rake strong side. Skinny guys and "most gals" can carry & draw this way comfortably as well. Shoulder rigs are very cool, but so many folks struggle with them. ken Knull's City Slicker is the only shoulder rig I have been able to wear all day for weeks on end with no discomfort and I can draw with either hand. Made for 2" J's and simular it is a practical shoulder holster.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Monday, March 12, 2012, 09:38 (4441 days ago) @ Murphy

Murphy,

The first thing is the name. Richardson.

I have several onion sacks and the only variables are size and length of drawstring.
I have one with drawstrings long enough to fit any application a fire plug person could think of.

I respect Doc O'Meara and would yield to most of his knowledgeable statements.
His suggestion of a flour or sugar sack is way off. The porosity of such sacks tend to retain moisture. A good creek crossing or an impromptu hogging session for a mess of fish and the sacks suggested by Doc will not drain properly.

On the other hand the onion sack does allow for moisture removal as well as small bits of trash as well.

Under no circumstances should you use one of the new plastic lined feed sacks. New is not good for everything.

We have been told!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, March 12, 2012, 10:58 (4441 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

:-D

--

by Murphy @, Monday, March 12, 2012, 11:19 (4441 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

I stand corrected, not sure how that happened.

Usually, I have an excuse available in a millisecond when I make an error.

This time, I just plain outright had a case of brain fade and failed to proof read my post.

Murphee

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Monday, March 12, 2012, 12:56 (4441 days ago) @ Murphy

All is forgiven.
See you soon.

Tom, I should note that.....

by "Doc" O'Meara @, Monday, March 12, 2012, 16:46 (4441 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

I am not in the habit of crossing creeks, or otherwise dunking my guns, except that shotguns may risk some dampness when hunting waterfowl.:-D

Tom, I should note that.....

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Monday, March 12, 2012, 17:21 (4441 days ago) @ "Doc" O'Meara

That being the case, sugar and flour sacks should work well.

Tom you done

by madbohemian, Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 09:37 (4440 days ago) @ Tom Richardson

throwed a crav'n on me!! Can't wait till I can head to east Texas and get me some Noonday onions. They come with a free hillbilly holster.:-D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noonday,_Texas
http://tastingspoons.com/archives/3620

That MAP: What Texas needs is a few more counties...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 10:13 (4440 days ago) @ madbohemian

;-)

--

Reminds me of the onion pie....

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 07:02 (4440 days ago) @ madbohemian

that Kathy makes for me when the vidalias are in season.

Mighty fine.

Jimmy P.

Reminds me of the onion pie....

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 07:14 (4440 days ago) @ Jimmy P.

When I met you I figgured Kathy had a taste for wild onions.

Straight drop is my preference, easier for me to draw

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, March 12, 2012, 13:20 (4441 days ago) @ Murphy

nm

by madbohemian, Monday, March 12, 2012, 16:08 (4441 days ago) @ Murphy

Use them all no preference. Just have to remember which one I strap on. Seems I,ve been falling backwards or forwards, drawing straight up or reaching around most of my life.:-)
Lots of time I just shuck it inside my pants behind my hip in the spot Rob was talking about as I have a permanent indention of a 4" N-frame .44 mag. in that place from carrying there so many years.
We called it "Mexican Carry" back then. Guess not PC nowdays though. Shucks used to wrap rubber bands round the top of the grip if I was wearing loose pants.
Now I'm telling my age.;-)

by Catoosa, Tuesday, March 13, 2012, 19:29 (4440 days ago) @ Murphy

I've found that in the last few years I have come to prefer a midrise straight drop holster. My shoulder doesn't bend as easily as it used to. Further, the draw stroke I learned a few years ago from a very experienced fellow works best with a straight drop rig.

RSS Feed of thread