Newish revolvers?

by Alfred John, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 09:01 (4443 days ago)

After reading the below thread on the Model 66,4 inch, I feel I would like to find one with a round butt. Always wanted either a Model 19 or 66 with a four inch barrel and round butt. ARE these still out there. I do have a three inch model 65 with a round butt and it feels great, just thought I would like a model 66. Went through an accademy class many years back, the instructors were all FBI, J.Edgar Hoover days. One did have a model 19 round butt. Seems it was built for ONI (Office of Naval Intelligence), that office found they were not authorized to carry guns and the FBI accquired them and their firearms instructors got a good buy. Always felt it carried well and looke better than a square butt. Every now and again I see one and it is usually priced high. Also would like to find a four inch Ruger GP-100 without the full underlug, just because I like my GP-100 6" without an underlug barrel, it is a great target and hunting gun. Were would be a good place to look these days. Just rambling on a Sunday morning. Hope everyone is having a decent day.
ATB

Newish revolvers?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:14 (4443 days ago) @ Alfred John

I have Cut squares to round before. It was on an old junker so there was little worry of screwing it up. A stainless gun would be easy do to lack of rebluing. Just put a set of round butt drops on, Scribe around them and start with a grinder until you get close. Finish up with files as sandpaper and you've got what you want!

Doug K

Newish revolvers?

by uncowboy, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 18:06 (4442 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I have done the same thing. Really an easy job. I have 2 66 S&w's both square but. Giving away my age no RB when I was shooting them. STILL a stable gun that everyone shoul owne! J.Michael

Newish revolvers?

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Wednesday, March 21, 2012, 23:37 (4432 days ago) @ Alfred John

Seems like nearly all the newer S&W's are round butt. I'm not interested in the guns with the lock, so I don't have anything that's very new.

I do have a model 64 that I bought in the last year or two, it was a Wells Fargo trade in, so I was told. It's got a round butt and bobbed hammer. They had about two dozen of them, all the same configuration.

I also have a model 65 that a previous owner converted from square to round butt. They did a nice job and it really fits my hand well.

RSS Feed of thread