How many bullet molds is too many?

by AaronB, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 15:04 (4444 days ago)

I was just wondering, because I've got a drawer full of them in the shed, but I keep on seeing ones I like, or ones I don't have and have been looking for a long time, or ones that look like real bargains.

I'm not sure at what point I'll decide that I have all the ones I want.

-AaronB (with bids on two eBay auctions as we speak)

As I like to say about guns, pocket watches and geetars...

by Boge Quinn, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 15:56 (4444 days ago) @ AaronB

...I only need ONE more!

Never have too many, just some you don't use as much as

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 16:31 (4444 days ago) @ AaronB

others. You never know.......

I can't find dang molds...

by Bud, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 17:33 (4444 days ago) @ Cherokee

that I'm looking for. That's probably an indication of too many. I'm thinkin of making cubby holes for each caliber so's I can get 'em down to at least the caliber I'm needin.

Bud, several years ago....

by Glen, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 18:27 (4444 days ago) @ Bud

...my wife bought me a mechanics tool box to organize my bullet moulds in (as an anniversary present). I have them organized by brand and number of cavities.

by Bud, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:49 (4443 days ago) @ Glen

That's great idea. I wish I had space to put one of those somewhere. I'd be happy to just store them by caliber, much less brands. The only option I have is to make an existing shelf into storage areas that I can partition in to cubbies. Also would like some protection for the molds from dust, etc.
If I can figure out how to post pictures I wish to show you how I store CB's. They are those ole flip file cabinets that have drawers 1.5" in depth, 8" wide and 2 feet long. Coolest thing ever for CB's. There are about 25 drawer per unit and I have 2 stacked on top of each other.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, March 11, 2012, 10:56 (4443 days ago) @ Glen

Sounds like a cool set up. I've got a drawer in my craftsman toolbox devoted to molds. Several are Lee's with integral handles so they take up a buncha room.

No such thing as "too many"

by Glen, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 17:32 (4444 days ago) @ AaronB

Like Boge said, "I only need one or two more....". ;-)

I only needed one more

by AaronB, Monday, March 12, 2012, 08:21 (4442 days ago) @ Glen

I finally broke down and bought a mold for that Lyman 300-grain .45-90 bullet. The latest iteration of it is the 457191 and it's made today as a bevel-base, but I was rooting around on evilBay and found an old Ideal 456191 that casts a flat-based bullet. It came in under 50 bucks with shipping and all, which was nice. I'm not used to paying close to half a c-note for an old single-cavity mold, but you do what you gotta do sometimes.

Now if I only had that same mold with a hollow-point pin...

-AaronB [scheming and dreaming]

Aaron, drop me an email....

by Glen, Monday, March 12, 2012, 10:18 (4442 days ago) @ AaronB

I might be able to make you very happy....

g.e.fryxell at charter dot net

E-pigeon has been released! NM

by AaronB, Monday, March 12, 2012, 10:42 (4442 days ago) @ Glen

Pull! Bang! NM

by Glen, Monday, March 12, 2012, 21:30 (4442 days ago) @ AaronB

no message

RSS Feed of thread