The One and only centerfire handgun

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, March 08, 2012, 20:53 (4445 days ago)

for one of my new employees: [image]
A 4" Stainless steel K frame 66 no dash stock 357.
Shown above my old 66-4

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, March 09, 2012, 07:25 (4445 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Cant think of a much better, 'do it all' handgun. My model 15 and 65 sit in the safe more than they are carried but I'd still hate to be without them!

by Remington40x @, SE PA, Friday, March 09, 2012, 08:46 (4445 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nice choice. Mine is a Ruger Security Six 4". Serves the same purpose, if not quite so stylishly.

Security Six - (was: The One and only centerfire handgun)

by Norm, Friday, March 09, 2012, 13:06 (4445 days ago) @ Remington40x

I've had way too many 19's and 66's over the years and until a few weeks ago never had a Ruger Security Six. I couldn't pass up a like new "Made in the 200th of American Liberty" ago for $200 TTL. The gun as well as the DA is heavier and not quite as smooth as a Smith 19, but pretty close.

Now that I think about it, I did have a stainless rnd butt 3" Speed Six in stainless and stag grips a few years ago. Wish I'd kept it.

Norm

"...if not quite so stylishly." Oh, I don't know...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, March 09, 2012, 18:55 (4444 days ago) @ Remington40x

[image]

I hear you brother...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, March 09, 2012, 20:44 (4444 days ago) @ Hoot

[image]
[image]
[image]

The Ruger "Six"guns are great revolvers, but I like the K-frames, too. The Ruger Security-Six was my FIRST centerfire revolver and I used it for everything from squirrels to deer and self-defense with varying degrees of success. Unfortunately, I once had to sell it but I loved it so much that I looked for and bought one as much like it as possible.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Of course, if neither the Six-series nor the K-frames will do it for you, there's always a Colt...

[image]

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

"...if not quite so stylishly." Oh, I don't know...

by rob @, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 22:12 (4443 days ago) @ Hoot

[image]

Oh Yeah! I don't know how I lucked into it but the action on my current 4" GP100 is slicker than goose poop on rotten banana peel. I won't part with my GP in this lifetime. Being a GP100 I have rubber grips on mine but they are the compact versions that came on the 3" guns and they are fitted with nice black ash burl inserts:) that's a Sweet Security Six you have there,
rob

Thank you Sir!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, March 12, 2012, 11:54 (4442 days ago) @ rob

Tip

by JLF @, Friday, March 09, 2012, 10:04 (4445 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I see that yours has the stainless rear sight. These are quite rare, found only in the earliest production. The 66 and 67 were the first stainless revolvers with adjustable rear sights. The bean counters at S&W howled about the additional costs of a whole new sight in stainless, and very quickly production switched back to the standard blue sight. In mint condition, they will bring more. I sold one early this week.

JLF

JAck, that is Cody's 66. Mine has the red ramp(Which I don't

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, March 09, 2012, 12:49 (4445 days ago) @ JLF

care for) But I will pass that along. Thank you.

--

by jerry b, Friday, March 09, 2012, 12:32 (4445 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

There's lots to recommend one and only, if it's the right one and only.

I rather like threads where knowledgeable guys discuss one and only, if in theory if not in their own practice.

I traded for a 4" 66 my first year of law school.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Friday, March 09, 2012, 18:03 (4444 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Thats when they try to weed you out and they dang near did me. Applied at a couple of police departments and both required arming yourself. I traded for a slicked up 66-1 4" which I then shot the heck out of. Stuck it out through law school and continued to shoot the 66 with $3.00 for 50 round reloads from a local guy all through school. Helped a buddy sight in his 30/06 at 100 yards the first year out of law school. I was wearing the 66 and bet him I could shoot a smaller group at 100 yards than he could. I won easily. My wife has long since appropriated it but I love that revolver.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, March 09, 2012, 18:08 (4444 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

If I could find one like yours it might be the last six gun I would buy.

Regards
Art

by brerarnold, Friday, March 09, 2012, 22:13 (4444 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

There's a lot to be said for having a "one and only." Kinda wish I could talk myself into it. I know which one I'd pick, too. But then I get to looking at the others ...

Not the One and only centerfire handgun....

by Byron, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 09:10 (4444 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

[image]

by Murphy @, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 12:00 (4444 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The sheer horror of such a concept refuses to allow my mind to go there. ;-)

Murphy

We all have to start somewhere & a 19/66 or a Security 6

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 16:51 (4443 days ago) @ Murphy

in 357 mag makes a lot of sence;-)

--

I'm with Murphy.................

by Bud, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 17:41 (4443 days ago) @ Murphy

reckon mine would be a 22lr of somekind though

by Catoosa, Saturday, March 10, 2012, 21:00 (4443 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I'm slightly embarassed to say I do not have a 4" Model 19 or 66, BUT only because I have had a 4" Model 13 for the last 26 years that has done any and every thing I have ever required of a .357. Certainly not the "one and only", but probably the last revolver I would ever part with.

by "Doc" O'Meara @, Saturday, March 17, 2012, 03:34 (4437 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

SAA Colt either .45LC or .45 ACP. Actually, I like it best in .38-40, but ammo or components for either .45 is more likely to come available. As for any handgun at all, it would be any among several models of .22LR, with the Colt GM topping the list, because of magazine capacity and the Ruger 10/.22 being a close 2nd.

by Murphy @, Saturday, March 17, 2012, 09:40 (4437 days ago) @ "Doc" O'Meara

Okay, I said my mind simply won't go there...the thought of ony ONE handgun.

I stressed over it for a bit, then concluded. The ONE handgun I would pick? The one that will best fill the bill in helping me get all the others back.

Murphy

RSS Feed of thread