Need I and J frames in 32 S&W long/38 S&W

by Tim Sundles @, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 14:11 (4467 days ago)

Folks,

Am looking to bring out some factory loads that will make effective defensive loads in both of these old cartridges. I need a bunch of test guns. Anyone having any for sale or knowing of any for sale, please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Tim, Bucky O'Neill Guns has a couple last I saw

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 15:09 (4467 days ago) @ Tim Sundles
edited by Rob Leahy, Monday, February 27, 2012, 14:30

928-778 2400. Talk to Jim Marnel, a friend of mine.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I saw a coupler of Terriers on GB, if it helps.

by anachronism, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 21:14 (4467 days ago) @ Tim Sundles

ntxt

by Otony, Monday, February 27, 2012, 13:59 (4466 days ago) @ anachronism

Late Terriers are built on J rather than I-frames. I am not sure how big a difference that makes strength-wise, but since J-frames were introduced to handle .38 Specials, one has to assume that it is stronger somehow.

One quick way to tell the difference is if the trigger guard is more oval (J) than rounded (I), that is a good visual reference. I think I-frames will have half-moon front sights as well, but seem to recall that some early J-frames shared that feature.

I will be quiet now....

Otony

by Catoosa, Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 11:06 (4464 days ago) @ Otony

I've got a 1956 Terrier built on the Improved I-frame. It has the ramp front sight and oval trigger guard just like the J-frame, but the frame is shorter in both length and height.

The easiest way to tell the little Smiths apart is:

- short frame with a strain screw in the grip frontstrap = I-frame (leaf-type mainspring)

- short frame with NO strain screw = Improved I-frame (coil mainspring)

- long frame with NO strain screw = J-frame (coil mainspring)

by Otony, Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 12:14 (4464 days ago) @ Catoosa

Thank you! I knew someone would be along soon who knows exactly what they are talking 'bout!

I was kinda, sorta on the right track, but didn't know the pertinent details....

Otony

by Catoosa, Friday, March 02, 2012, 20:48 (4462 days ago) @ Otony

Believe me, Otony, S&W revolvers can become an obsession. My wife says so.

Good to see you post again Tim.

by W.R.D., Monday, February 27, 2012, 15:31 (4466 days ago) @ Tim Sundles

No Message.

Good to see you post again Tim.

by Tim Sundles @, Monday, February 27, 2012, 22:12 (4466 days ago) @ W.R.D.

In the last four or five years, I've become so busy that I rarely have time to chat on the net anymore. Many of us had a lot of good internet conversations in years gone by and I harbor some good memories from them. Looks as if most of you guys are doing well.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 11:14 (4464 days ago) @ Tim Sundles

Tim, please keep us posted on your progress, especially with regard to the .38 S&W. I'm currently loading 3.2 grain of Unique under a 155-158 grain hard-cast SWC for my Terrier. Gives about 725 fps from the short barrel. Thinking about working up toward 3.5 grains to see if I can get 750 fps, which is about what standard velocity .38 Specials run out of my 2" Model 36.

Would love to see what the .38 S&W will do without overstressing those little guns.

by Tim Sundles @, Wednesday, February 29, 2012, 15:44 (4464 days ago) @ Catoosa

It will probably take me the better part of a year to get the loads all sorted as I don't even have test guns yet and I spend all summer and fall in the mountains every spare second I can take off work. Winter is my time for developing new loads. Eventually we will get some good/effective loads for these cartidges. Thanks for the interest.

RSS Feed of thread